As we continue our weekly series Around The Continent, we will discuss the news and tell the story of each country’s preparation for Eurovision Song Contest 2022.
Yesterday, we finally got the most exciting news:
The 66th Eurovision Song Contest (Eurovision 2022) will be held in Turin.
The contest will take place in the arena of PalaOlimpico
on 10th,12th and 14th of May 2022.
According to Italian media, one of the contenders to host the show is the British-Lebanese singer Mika, who is one of the judges in “X-Factor Italy“.
The singer’s environment denied the rumors.
We would like to remind you that in the past, the singer had a problematic statement regarding the contest. He said that the vast majority of songs have low quality and used some words we wouldn’t like to repeat.
As always, Albania will select an artist and a song for Eurovision via traditional “Festivali I Këngës“.
The submission window will close on the 15th of October 2021.
According to Bulgarian media, the young singer Nikol Paris submitted her candidacy to represent the country at Eurovision 2022.
Nowadays, the singer is participating in the “X-Factor Italy”. Her mentor is the singer Mika.
According to OGAE Greece, there are 3 leading candidates that have already submitted their candidacy
#1. Good Job Nicky
- Label: Cobalt Music
- About the Artist: Good job Nicky is the stage name of Nikolas Varthakouris. He is 25 years old and considered one of the rising stars in his country.
- What can we expect? : it seems like the singer has submitted a ballad with soundtrack elements. It was composed by the young composer Hermes Geragidis.
- Label: Panik Records
- About the Artist: 27-year-old singer and songwriter grew up between Crete and New Jersey – two completely different musical worlds. It’s only fitting that her groundbreaking music combines danceable pop influences with Mediterranean traditional sounds
- What can we expect? The singer probably submitted the maximum allowed number of songs for a singer, according to ERT’s regulations this year. Evangelia submitted 3 different songs. All of them are billengal (which means they include lyrics in English and Greek). All of the songs have characteristics of modern pop and traditional Greek foundations. The songs have already been produced. Each of them already has a video clip, staging concept and clear message.
Greek – American singer worked on several songs in a studio in Athens this week.
One of the surprises was seeing her accompanied by the Swedish singer-songwriter Mohombi who participated 3 times in the Swedish selection for Eurovision.
Kalomira will probably apply with 2-3 uptempo songs
In the coming hours, we might have more news regarding artists that have officially applied to represent Greece. Some of them will probably be those who have been reported before.
The submission window for “Söngvakeppnin 2022” closed on last Wednesday, the 6th of October 2021.
In January 2022, the 10 participants of “Söngvakeppnin 2022” will be revealed.
Söngvakeppnin 2022” will have the same format as in the previous Söngvakeppnin 2022” will be aired on February 2022. The selection will include 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- In each semi-final, 5 artists will compete for 2 spots in the final. The results will be determined by 50% jury voting and 50% public voting.
- The jury will have the right to give a wild-card to one of the 6 non-qualifiers.
- Therefore, 5 artists will compete in the grand final. In the first round, the results will be determined by 50% jury voting and 50% public voting.
- In the “Super-Final”, the top 2 artists will compete while the results will be determined solely by the public.
Latvian broadcaster LTV confirmed that “Supernova 2022” will be the selection process for Eurovision 2022.
Song and Artist submissions are open on 7th October 2021 and will close on 7th December 2021
Here are the main regulations for the selection:
- Soloists, duos and groups of up to 6 people can apply.
- Each soloist or group member should be at least 16 years of age on the 1st of December 2021.
- Only citizens of Latvia and permanent residents of Latvia can apply.
- Foreign musicians may only participate if they are producers with up to 33.33% authorship distribution.
- The submission period will close on the 7th of December 2021.
- The submitted songs have not been published on any publicly available platforms or played (also in live performance) at public events before September 1, 2021.
- The maximum song length is 3 minutes.
- A professional jury panel will estimate and rank the submitted songs. They will base their estimates on: arrangement, message of the song, compliance with modern market trends, potential to compete in the international pop music market, vocational abilities, personality of the performer;
- The titles of the entries selected by the jury and included in the next round, including the Song Authors, will be published by LTV in December 2021.
- The final of the competition “Supernova 2022” will take place in February 2022;
- The selection process (or in fact “Supernova 2022” format) will be revealed in January 2022.
- According to unofficial sources, 16-24 songs will be shortlisted for the second round
You can submit the song here:
The submission window for “Beovizjia 2022” opened last week.
We are already able to tell that this year a lot of artists are interested in representing the country at Eurovision.
According to a representative of the Serbian broadcaster RTS, more than 100 songs have already been submitted. This is the record number of submissions since 2008.
The submission window will close on the 1s of December, so maybe even the record of the national selection for Eurovision 2008 will be broken.
Slovenian broadcaster RTV SLO will hold an extended versions of “EMA” and “EMA FREŠ” for Eurovision 2022:
The first time “EMA FREŠ” was aired was in 2020.
The Slovenian selection for Eurovision 2022 will include 2 different categories: “EMA FREŠ 2022” for newcomers and “EMA 2022” for established artists.
- Selected songs from the category of newcomers are pre-mutually competing in the online pre-competition “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- 4 artists will qualify from the newcomers competition for the general selection of “EMA 2022“.
- The national selection will include 3 shows this year: 2 pre-selections and a final selection
- Artists between the ages of 16 and 30 who have released up to 3 songs so far can apply for “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- Main performers or at least half of the main performers in the multi-performance ensembles of the submitted song must have permanent or temporary residence in Slovenia
- There are no restrictions on the nationality of backing vocalists.
- Submitted songs will not be included in other national selections.
- You can submit your songs here
- The submission window for “EMA 2022” and “EMA FREŠ 2022” will close on the 23rd of November 2021.
- The winning song in the final selection “EMA 2022” will be selected by 5 juries and the public on the basis of voting via landlines and mobile phones.
- The expert jury will be composed of: singers, songwriters, members of Slovenian radio, members of Slovenian Television and members of OGAE Slovenia
- Performers, authors of music, lyrics, arrangements, music producers who performed in the finals of the Song
- Eurovision and / or ranked in the top ten before the start of the semi-finals,
- performers, authors of music, lyrics, arrangements, music producers, in the last 10 years
- Winners of music festivals and recipients of music awards in Slovenia and abroad
About “EMA FREŠ 2022“
- In the first round, each member of the expert commission on the basis of artistic, aesthetic and production criteria, song innovation and recording quality.
- It will end with the expert jury classifying the songs in 3 different classes.
- At the end of this round, jury experts will rank their top 24 entries. The given scores will determine the duals of “EMA FREŠ 2022” .
- 3 weeks in a row, every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, RTV SLO will publish pairs of songs that will compete in a dual. The winning song for each dual will qualify for the final.
- At the end of each week, the 4 week’s winners will face another vote: The public voters and jury will vote for their favorites. The top 3 will qualify for the final of “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- Out of the remaining 15 songs that didn’t qualify directly, the public will pick their top 5.
- Therefore, 14 ( 5 wildcards and 9 week’s winners) songs will participate in the semi- finals of the new corner category – “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- “EMA FREŠ 2022” will include 2 semi- finals. On each one of them, 7 newcomers will compete for 2 spots in “EMA FREŠ 2022 grand final.
- The results of “EMA FREŠ 2022” semi-finals will be dedcided by 50% public vote and 50% jury vote.
- These 4 winners of “EMA FREŠ 2022” semi-finals, will join the grand final of “EMA 2022“
First Rounds of “EMA FREŠ 2022”:
Advanced Rounds of “EMA FREŠ 2022”:
About “EMA 2022”
- A total of 20 songs will compete in “EMA 2022“. 4 of them are “EMA FREŠ 2022” qualifiers.
- This year, “EMA 2022” will include a semi-final as well.
- 16 established artists will compete on 6 spots in the final. The top 3 ranked by the jury panel and the top 3 ranked by the public votes will qualify for the final.
- In the grand final, 10 artists (6 established and 4 newcomers) will compete on the right to represent Slovenia.
- Each of the 5 jury members will grant 1-8, 10, 12 points to their top 10 favorite songs. Therefore, the jury panel will grant 290 points (5 sets of 1-8, 10, 12 points) in total.
- Public results will be converted into a system of 290 points in total: The top 10 songs will recieve: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 50 and 60 points respectively.
- The winner of “EMA 2022” will be the one with the highest combined score.
Toñi Prieto, the entertainment executive producer of TVE, was fired yesterday
Last June, Ana Bordás was hired as Director of Entertainment and Disclosure of RTVE.
Ana’s position is considered higher than Prieto‘s position.
Toñi Prieto worled in RTVE since 1977. Since 2015, she has been Director of Entertainment.
One of the reasons would probably be the way she has treated Eurovision in recent years.
RTVE hasn’t shown much interest in Eurovision, and it was also expressed in staging and public relations for Eurovision.
On top of this, Spain has decided to change direction for Eurovision this year.
As we’ve already mentioned, Spain will hold a music festival for Eurovision 2022.
Its been announced that Ukrainian national broadcaster PBC will independently organise and broadcast the national selection ”Vidbir 2022”.
At the end of August, we have reported that Ukrainian broadcaster UA:PBC & STB ended their partnership. Private channel STB organised ”Vidbir” in the years 2016 – 2020.
Ukrainian broadcaster UA:PBC has just announced an art competition for the production (creation) of audiovisual works for the creative project.
The winner of the tender will also work on staging the winner’s performance at Eurovision and as a backup TV version if needed by EBU.
Some of the terms of the tender are as follows:
- The national selection shows will be held between the 12th of February 2022 and by the 4th of March 2022.
- Submission window will close on the 24th of October 2021
- Proposals must include suggestions for the selection of performers for national selection
- Proposals must include a suggestion for the format of national selection, selection of jury members and ensuring transparent and fair public voting.
- The production will be responsible for the creation of a backup live-on tape performance for Eurovision 2022
- The production will be in charge of the staging of the acts of national selection and acting at Eurovision 2022.
For full terms you can read here