As we continue our weekly series Around The Continent, we will discuss the news and tell the story of each country’s preparation for Eurovision Song Contest 2022.
Albania made the decision for Eurovision 2022.
The singer Ronela Hajati will represent the country at Eurovision 2022, after she had won “Festivali i Këngës 60”.
The singer will perform the song “Sekret”. As you can see in the video below, the lyrics now include a few sentences in English.
In 2nd place: Alban Ramosaj–“Theje” (Eng: Break it)
In joint 3rd place: Rezarta Smaja–“E jemja nuse” and Eldis Arrnjeti–“Refuzoj” :
On the 13th of November 2021, we published an article suggesting speculation about who are the 4 potential acts to represent Austria at Eurovision 2022.
Apparently, one of our guesses might be the actual representative for Eurovision 2022:
Following the Instagram‘s story, we can suspect that the chosen act might be ANGER
The chosen artist will be revealed by Austrian broadcaster ORF in January 2022
Azerbaijan opened the submission window for Eurovision 2022.
Songs can be submitted by the 31st of January 2022.
As in recent years, the country will probably internally select its entry.
This week, we were able to watch another 2 episodes of “X-Factor Israel”.
4 teams competed and 13 qualifiers are:
- Sapir Saban (Girls)
- Inbal Bibi (Girls)
- Gayda (Girls)
- Anna Stefani (Girls)
- Michael Ben David (Boys)
- Eli Huli (Boys)
- Shachar Adawi (Boys)
- Shiran & Ron (groups +over 30)
- Tarante Groove Machine (groups + over 30)
- Linet (groups and over 30)
- Lia Navipur (Teens)
- Ilay Elmakayas (Teens)
- Shahar Admoni (Teens)
On Sunday, we will have a special Eurovision episode, where the candidates will perform Eurovision songs.
Although it hasn’t been officially confirmed by Latvian broadcaster LTV, the expected dates for “Supernova 2022” are:
- Semi-Final on 5th of February 2022
- Final on the 12th of February 2022
Next Saturday, the Lithuanian selection for Eurovision 2022 will start.
For 3 consecutive weeks, 12 artists will fight for 6 spots in the semi-finals.
Here is a reminder for the format:
- Heat 1 – 8th of January 2022: 12 participants, 6 qualifiers
- Heat 2 – 15th of January 2022: 12 participants, 6 qualifiers
- Heat 3 – 22th of January 2022: 12 participants, 6 qualifiers
- Semi – Final 1 – 29th of January 2022: 9 participants, 4 qualifiers
- Semi – Final 2 – 5th of February 2022: 9 participants, 4 qualifiers
- Grand Final – 12th of February 2022: 8 participants
Meanwhile, some of the acts have been released:
Aldegunda – “Holiday”
Emilija Valiukevičiūtė – Overload
Emilijana – Illuminate
Voldemars Petersons – UP
Živilė Gedvilaitė – Lioness
Mėnulio Fazė – Give Me A Sign
Erica Jennings – Back to myself
Maltese broadcaster TVM has published a list of acts to compete in the national selection for Eurovision 2022:
- Aidan Cassar – “Rhythm”
- Baklava feat. Nicole – “Electric Indigo”
- Denise Mercieca – “Boy”
- Derrick Schembri – “II”
- Emma Muscat – “Out of Sight”
- Enya Magri – “Shame”
- Francesca Sciberras – “Rise”
- Jade Vella – “Revelation”
- Janice Mangion – “Army”
- Jessica Grech – “Aphrodisiac”
- Jessica Muscat – “Kaleidoscope”
- Malcolm Pisani – “We Came for Love”
- Mark Anthony Bartolo – “Serenity”
- Matt BLXCK – “Come Around”
- Miriana Conte – “Look What You’ve Done Now”
- Nicole Azzopardi – “Into the Fire”
- Nicole Hammett – “A Lover’s Heart”
- Norbert Bondin – “How Special You Are”
- Rachell Lowell – “White Doves”
- Raquel Galdes Briffa – “Over You”
- Richard Micallef – “Hey Little”
- Sarah Bonnici – “Heaven”
Among the artists, we can recognize some familiar faces:
- Aidan Cassar – competed in the national selection in 2018 with the song “Dai Laga” and ended in 4th place.
- Jessica Muscat – competed in the Maltese selection several times. In 2018, won San-Marino selection for Eurovision 2018 with the German singer Jennifer. They performed the song “Who We Are“
- Richard Micallef represented Malta as part of the group Firelight at Eurovision 2014 with the song “Coming Home“. In 2018, he competed in the national selection alongside his father. They finished as the runner-ups.
- Nicole Azzopardi represented Malta at Junior Eurovision 2010 with the song “Knock Knock! … Boom! Boom!”. She finished in 13th place.
- Emma Muscat – the singer competed in the Italian music show “Amici di Maria de Filippi”, where she ended 5th.
- Matt BLXCK – participated in the 2nd season of “X-Factor Malta” (which was the artist selection for Eurovision 2019).
- Miriana Conte – competed in the national selection in 2018 with the song “Rocket“. She ended up 12th.
- Janice Mangion – competed in the national selection in 2017 with the song “Kewkba“. She ended up in 2nd place
RTCG will reveal the artist for Eurovision 2022 on the 4th of January 2022.
It wThe revealing of both artist and song will be on the morning TV Show of TVCG.
It will be revealed by Stana Salgo – music editor of Radio Montenegro.
One potential candidate is Tamara Vujacic (who was part of D-Mol group that represented Montenegro in 2019).
Polish broadcaster TVP will reveal the artist for Eurovision 2022 on the 15th of January 2022.
The known artists in the selection process are: Daria Marcinkowska, Oscar Jensen, UNMUTE ,The Szczepan Sisters and Lidia Kopania.
According to Portuguese media, it seems that we can expect the singer PONGO to participate in “Festival da Canção 2022“. Apparently, the singer will perform a song by DJ Marfox.
The singer has a live concert in Paris on the same day as the semi-final 1 of “Festival da Canção 2022“. This might explain why DJ Marfox requested that their song compete in the second semi-final.
Due to Covid restrictions (people outside Romania won’t be able to fly to Romania) and due to the appeal of one contender, the updated list of acts in “Selecția Națională 2022“:
- Alex Parker & Erik Frank & Bastien – Best of me [new in the list]
- Aldo Blaga – Embers
- Alexa – Hoodies and cold nights
- Alina Amon – Without you
- Ana Lazăr – Youngster
- Andra Oproiu – Younique
- Andrea Stocchino – Avere paura (To be afraid)
- Andrei Petruş – Take me
- ARIS – Do Svidaniya (Goodbye)
- Ayona Iordănescu – Let me come to you.
- Barbara – Hypnotized
- Bogdan Dumitraş – Sign
- Carmen Trandafir – Măşti (Masks)
- Cezar Ouatu – For everyone
- Ciro De Luca – Imperdonabile (Unforgiveable)
- Claudia, Minodora, Diana – România mea (My Romania)
- Dan Helciug – 241
- Dora Gaitanovici – Ana
- E-an-na – Malere [new in the list]
- Eliza G – The other half of me
- Eugenia Nicolae – Doina
- Fabian Ferrara – That way
- Forţele de muncă – Hai afară, frate! (Come out brother!)
- Gabriel Basco – One night
- Giulia-Georgia Beiliciu – Find your way
- Ivelin Trakiyski – Neverending
- Jessie – Regret
- Kyrie Mendél – Hurricane
- Letiţia Moisescu – Mirunica
- Leyah – I’ll be fine
- Mălina – Prisoner
- Miryam – Top of the rainbow
- MOISE – Guilty
- Oana Tabultoc – Utopia
- Olivia Miheţ – Fragile
- Othello – You’re worthy
- Outflow – Running in circles
- Petra – Ireligios (Irreligious)
- Popa Roberta-Maria – Indigo
- Romeo Zaharia – Until the fight is over
- Silvia Costache – Save me
- Sophia – Beautiful lies
- Stelian – Remember
- VANU – Never give up
- Vizi Imre – Sparrow
- WRS – Llámame (Call me)
Updated playlist (with all the songs that have been published so far) can be found here:
The full jury panel of “Una Voce Per San Marino” revealed:
- Steve Lyon – sound engineer and producer who lives in London
- Roberto Costa – bassist, sound engineer, arranger and producer
- Emilio Munda – producer, composer and songwriter
- Roberta Faccani – former lead singer of Matia Bazar, is known for singing in musicals
- Maurizio Raimo – music manager and record producer
- Mimmo Paganelli – music producer
- Nabuk – Italian musician and producer
Slovenian singer July Jones, who will compete in “EMA 2022” is looking for queer women to perform with her in the national selection. She will perform the song “Girls Can Do Anything“
Here are the known details on Ukraine’s selection for Eurovision 2022:
- The show will include a grand final only.
- It will be held in the second half of February 2022.
- 8-10 participants will take part.
- The show will last for 2.5 hours.
- Each artist will be filmed in his hometown for the postcard.
- Until the 28th of December 2021, a total of 87 songs have been submitted. The majority of them in Ukrainian!
- Timur Miroshnychenko will probably be the host of the show. He hosted before Eurovision 2017, Junior Eurovision 2009+2013. In addition, he has been a Eurovision commentator for a long time
Could the impossible happen?
According to the following Instagram story, one can suspect that Geri Halliwell (“Spice Girls” former member) will represent the UK at Eurovision 2022.
Photos (with the description Eurovision 2022) have been shared on The BBC Radio 2 presenter’s account – Rylan Clark.
He was involved in the Eurovision project at the BBC over the years