After the huge success of “Benidorm Fest 2022″ which led Spain to a Podium achievement in Eurovision 2022, Spain has decided to continue with the same mechanism for Eurovision 2023.
Spanish broadcaster RTVE held a special press conference in the city of Benidorm and revealed details regarding the national selection for Eurovision 2023.
- The festival will include 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- The shows will be held on the 31st of January, 2nd of February, and 4th of February 2023.
- This means that Spain will probably be one of the first countries to reveal its song for Eurovision 2023
- 16 artists will be shortlisted to participate. 8 artists will compete in each semi-final, and 4 of them will qualify for the final.
- Despite the Eurovision fans’ reviews, the results method will remain the same as it was for 2022. The results will be determined by a combination of 50% professional jury, 25% dermoscopic jury, and 25% public vote.
- The submission window will open on September 1st and will close on October 10th.
- The lyrics must be in one the official Spanish languages: Spanish, Basque, Galician, or Catalan. However, it is allowed that up to 40% of the lyrics will be in another language (English for example).
- Solo artists must be Spanish residents or citizens. For groups, at least 50% of the members must meet the condition.
- At least one of the songwriters and composers must be Spain’s residents or citizens.
Familiar Faces in the Festival
The professional jury will consist of 3 Spanish members and 2 international members.
One of the international members will be no other than Christer Bjorkman.
The well-known Swedish producer will bring a long experience with him to the jury table.
He represented Sweden at Eurovision 1992, and has been one of the “Melodifestivalen” producers for 19 years. In addition, he was one of the producers of the Eurovision Song Contest and currently he is involved in the “American Song Content”, “Eurovision Latin America” and “Eurovision Canada”.
The head of the jury panel will be the Spanish musician Nacho Cano. He is the founder of the Spanish group Mecano.
In addition, we have heard about the host of the festival (it is still unknown whether she will be joined by others).
It will be Mónica Naranjo to host the festival! She is one of the successful singers in Spain and Latin America, well known for her powerful voice:
The 16 artists will participate in a Christmas gala that RTVE will broadcast at the end of the year.
Furthermore, there will be a daily show that will focus on the festival during the shows week.
Chanel represented Spain at Eurovision 2022 with the song “SloMo“.
She ended up in 3rd place