On the 25th of July 2022, the EBU stated that the United Kingdom will host Eurovision 2023.
Preparations for the host city bid are underway. While some cities have already begun working on bid submissions, other cities have just shown interest in hosting Eurovision 2023.
Yesterday, the British broadcaster BBC published an article with F.A.Q (Frequently Asked Questions). Here are the main insights:
- The selection process for the host city will include 2 rounds.
- At the end of the first round, several cities will be shortlisted based on their suggested venue, capacity and experience in hosting such events.
- Each potential city will have to meet the mininal requirements.
- Each candidate city will have to demonstrate it has the capacity, capability and experience to host an event of this scale and complexity.
- For example, the requirements for Eurovision 2022 demand that the host city will have the capacity of at least 10K people. In addition, the venue should have been easily reached from the international airport with proper hotels around.
- The final decision will be joined by the BBC and the EBU reviews. However, it is possible that the BBC will consult with the UK government.
- The selection process is expected to end in the autumn, and shortly after we will know the identity of the host city.
The Race to Host Eurovision 2023 – Potential Cities
Currently, 16 cities are in the host Eurovision 2023.
5 of them have already officially confirmed their intent to send a submission for the bid:
- Glasgow [OVO Hydro on the River Clyde]
- Bristol [YTL Arena – under construction]
- Birmingham [Resorts World Arena]
- Aberdeen [P&J Live]
While a further 11 cities haven’t officially announced their submissions:
- London [O2 Arena / OVO Wembley Arena]
- Manchester [Manchester Arena]
- Leeds [The First Direct Arena]
- Newcastle [Utilita Arena]
- Nottingham [Motorpoint Arena Nottingham]
- Belfast [SSE Arena Belfast]
- Sheffield [Utilita Sheffield Arena]
- Wolverhampton [Stadium of Light]
- Brighton [a proper venue is questionable]
- Derry [a proper venue is questionable]
Which city would eventually host Eurovision 2023?
Which city is your favourite to win the bid?