As we continue our weekly series Around The Continent, we will discuss the news and tell the story of each country’s preparation for the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.
Based on unconfirmed reports, 4 hosts will lead Eurovision 2023.
There will be 2 pairs of hosts: one pair from Ukraine and one pair from the UK.
Relying on Ukrainian media, the 2 leading contenders to host Eurovision 2023 are Timur Miroshnychenko and Masha Efrosinina.
Timur was one of the hosts in Eurovision 2017, as well as in JESC 2009 and 2013.
He hosted “Vidbir 2022″, and has been a Ukrainian commentator since 2007.
Masha Efrosinina hosted Eurovision 2005 and “Vidbir 2022″.
The BBC is planning to run a Eurovision special tribute on the evening of the new year. Some might assume that this is when we will get official information.
The Azerbaijani broadcaster has started its journey to Eurovision 2023.
An open call was made this Thursday.
The submission window will be available until the 31st of December.
This will be the first time in years that artists can apply for Eurovision.
In the past, the artists had been internally chosen in advance.
The different method, can probably be explained by the replacing of the head of the delegation.
Isa Malikov, the former head of delegation, has resigned from the position. resigned and the new head of delegation is Vasif Mammadov
Croatian broadcaster HRT has revealed the names of 18 participants in “Dora 2023” alongside their song titles and writers: The acts, in alphabetical order, are:
- Barbara Munjas – Putem Snova (Eng: Through Dreams) [participated before in “Dora 2007“]
- Boris Štok – Grijeh (Eng: Sin)
- Damir Kedžo – Angels And Demons [won in “Dora 2020“]
- Đana – Free Falin’ [participated in “Dora 2020“]
- Detour – Master Blaster
- Eni Jurišić – Kreni Dalje (Eng: Go Further)
- Hana Mašić – Nesreća (Eng: Accident)
- Harmonija Disonance – Nevera (Lei,lei) (Eng: Infidelity)
- Krešo I Kisele Kiše – Kme Kme
- Let 3 – Mama Šč!
- Maja Grgić – I Still Live
- Martha May – Distance
- Meri Andraković – Bye Bye Blonde
- Patricia Gasparini – I Will Wait
- Tajana Belina – Dom
- The Splitters – Lost And Found
- Top Of The Pops Ft. Mario 5reković – Putovanje
- Yogi – Love At First Sight
“Dora 2023” will be composed of one show only: The grana final which will be held on Saturday, the 11th of February 2023 in the city of Opetija.
The results will be determined by 50% public vote and 50% national jury.
The songs will be presented in a special show, ahead of “Dora 2023″
Estonian broadcaster ERR publishes semi-final split for “Eesti Laul 2023“.
Semi-Final 1 – Thursday, 12th of January 2023
- Andreas – Why Do You Love Me?
- Anett x Fredi – You Need to Move On
- Bedwetters – Monsters
- Ellip – Pretty Girl
- JANEK – House of Glass
- Kaw – Valik (Eng: choice)
- MERLYN – Unicorn Vibes
- MIA – Üks samm korraga (Eng: One Step at a Time)
- Neon Letters & Maiko – Tokimeki (Eng: Palpitation)
- OLLIE – Venom
Semi-Final 2 – Saturday, 14th of January 2023
- Alika – Bridges
- Carlos Ukareda – Whiskey Won’t Forget
- Elysa – Bad Philosophy
- Inger – Awaiting You
- Linalakk & Bonzo – Aeg
- M els – So Good At What You Do
- Meelik – Tuju (Eng: mood)
- Robin Juhkental – Kurbuse matused
- Sissi – Lighthouse
- Wiiralt & Ultima Thule – Salalik (Eng: Secret)
- 6 songs will qualify from each semi-final.
- The results of each show will be determined by 2 rounds. In the first round, by a combination of 50% jury vote and 50% public vote. In the second round, the results will be determined by the public vote.
- The final will be held on the 11th of February 2023
Links for the digital platforms playlist
YLE has released some images from the preparations for “UMK 2023“:
One of the suggested names to participate in “UMK 2023” is pop singer Benjamin Peltonen.
The first episode of “The Voice of Georgia 2023” was broadcast this week.
7 candidated qualified from the blind auditions this week:
- Sopho Toroshelidze added Salome and Lika Siradze to her team.
- Stephane Mgebrishvili added Aliona Tsintsadze and Likuna Tutisani to his team.
- David Evgenidze added Salome to his team.
- Dato Porchkhidze added Tsotne Barbakadze and Kakha Aslamazashvili to his team
As was reported before, ERT has opened the registration window for Greek fans to be part of the demoscopic jury.
A total of 70 people from the public will be chosen, with the following composition:
- 25 people from the age of 18-25 years old
- 20 people from the age of 26-35 years old
- 15 people from the age of 36-45 years old
- 10 people from the age of 46+ years old
The demochopic jury will listen to a reduced list of songs and will rank them independently and personally.
The Greek entry for Eurovision 2023 will be chosen by a combination of 50.6% for the demoscopic jury ans 49.4% for the professional jury (composed of 7 members)
You can listen to some of the TikTok submissions here
Michael Kealy, the head of the Irish delegation, gave an interview this week and revealed the following details regarding the national selection:
- The suggested date for “Ireland Eurosong 2023” is Friday the 3rd of February 2023.
- Around 300 songs were sbunitted for the selection.
- Last year, the results were determined by a combination of public votes, the national jury and international jury. However, in “Ireland Eurosong 2023” the studio jury won’t be part of the results.
Currently, the following artists have shown interest in competing in the national selection:
- Una Healy
- Wild Youth
- Wild Youth
- Emer O’Neill
Earlier this week, Rai revealed the 22 established artists who will participate in “Festival Di Sanremo 2023″:
- Marco Mengoni (Eurovision 2013, “Sanremo 2013”)
- Elodie (“Sanremo 2020”)
- Levante (“Sanremo 2020”)
- Madame (“Sanremo 2021”)
- Anna Oxa (Sanremo 1978, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1999, Eurovision 1989)
- Coma_Cose (“Sanremo 2021”)
- Tananai (“Sanremo 2022”)
- Giorgia (“Sanremo” 1994, 1995, 2001)
- Gianluca Grignani (“Sanremo 1995”, “Sanremo 2002”)
- Paola (Sanremo 1997, 2019) & Chiara Lezzi (The Voice of Italy)
- Colapesce Dimartino (“Sanremo 2021”)
- Leo Gassmanm (Sanremo Giovani 2019)
- Ultimo (“Sanremo 2018” – New commers winner)
- Mr. Rain
- Rosa Chemical
- Articolo 31
- Mara Settei
- Moda’ ( “Sanremo 2013”)
- I Cugini Di Campagna
The festival will last 5 nights, starting on the 7th of February 2023, and ending on the 11th of February 2023.
A total of 28 artists will take part in the festival: 22 established artists and 6 young artists (Top 6 artists from “Sanremo Giovani 2022″)
The song titles will be announced next Friday, on the final of “Sanremo Giovani 2023″.
Amadeus received more than 500 songs for “Festival Di Sanremo 2023“
As always, the results of the festival will be determined by:
- Public voting (SMS and televoting)
- The professional jury comprises 150 journalists from the web, radio, print, TV, and press room.
- Demoscopic jury – composed of 300 people.
- In the first 2 nights, the professional jury will vote. It will carry out its vote by dividing itself into three independent components: a third for TV and print media, a third for the radio, and a third for the web jury.
- On the 3rd night, the vote will be composed of 50% of the public voting and 50% for the Demoscopic jury
- The 4th night of the festival will be dedicated for covers for Italian and International songs which have been released between 1st of January 1960 and 31st of December 1999.
- On the last 2 nights, the voting will be divided into three parts: 34% for the public voting, 33% for the professional jury, and 33% for the Demoscopic jury.
According to the All Music Italia website, several well-known artists got rejected from “Sanremo 2023”: Francesca Michielin, Francesco Gabbani, Jalisse, Annalisa and more:
- Madame will suggest a controversial song.
- La Rappresentante di Lista wrote I Cugini di Campagna’s song
- Ultimo is leading the betting odds and will perform an emotional ballad.
- Max Pezzali and Mauro Repetto wrote Paola and Chiara’s song.
RTV SLO has internally chosen Joker Out to represent the country at Eurovision 2023.
The band revealed the song had already been selected.
Final records will be held in Hamburg in the coming days.
The song will be in the Slovenian language and will be released on the 4th of February 2023
In fact, the band was recommended on our Eurovision Wishlist project – “The Looker” in 2021
“Vidbir 2023″ will be held next Saturday.
You can read our review here:
Links for the digital platforms playlist
The Euroclub will be held this year between the 5th of May and 13th of May 2023.
Camp and Furnace will be the locations for the events.
Tickets will go on sale around the beginning of the new year.