According to the Azeri website 12xal, around 200 songs were submitted for the Eurovision 2023 internal selection.
The submission window closed on the 31st of December 2022.
Azerbaijani Head of Delegation, Mr. Vasif Mammadov revealed the following details:
- Composers and songwriters from 4 different parts of the world submitted songs.
- The majority of the songs came from foreign creators
- One of the broadcasters’ aims for Eurovision 2023 is showcasing the Azeri culture and music.
- Therefore, a priority will be given to local songwriters and composers
- In contrast to recent years, the submissions were open to any Azeri artist. Each artist could have submitted their own proposals.
The expected time for choosing both the artist and the song is the end of January 2023!
The new head of Azertbaijan’s delegation is Vasif Mammadov. He sees great importance in taking Eurovision fans’ opinions under consideration and also encourages local artists and writers to take an active part in the country’s participation at Eurovision.
Nadir Rustamli represented Azerbaijan at Eurovision 2022 with the song “Fade To Black“.
He finished in 16th place: