As we continue our weekly series Around The Continent, we will discuss the news and tell the story of each country’s preparation for the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.
According to local media, the singer Brunette might represent the country at Eurovision 2023
You can listen to one of her recent releases:
Last Saturday, Belgium held its national selection for Eurovision 2023: “Eurosong 2023“.
After an evening full of tension, Gustaph was selected to represent the county
The results were:
Gustaph will perform “Because of You“:
Czech Television revealed the 5 artists who will take part in “ESCZ 2023“:
- Pam Rabbit
- Markéta Irglová
The songs are released by each artist independently.
“ESCZ 2023” will be held on Monday, the 30th of January 2023 at 21:00 CET.
It will be available online on the Eurovision Song Contest Youtube channel.
The results will be decided by a combination of: a 30% Czech public and a 70% for international audiences. Eurovision fans will be able to vote through the Eurovision app.
The winner will be revealed on the 6th of February 2023.
The list of songs wasn’t officially confirmed. However, we can raise the following songs as per the artists proposals (potential, not confirmed):
Markéta Irglová – Happy
Maella – Tudu Tudu Tu
Vesna – Love me
Danish broadcaster revealed the artists and songs for “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2023“:
- Eyjaa – I Was Gonna Marry Him
- Frederik Leopold – Stuck On You
- Maia Maia – Beautiful Bullshit
- Mariyah LeBerg – Human
- Micky Skeel – Glansbillede
- Nicklas Sonne – Freedom
- Reiley – Breaking My Heart
- Søren Torpegaard Lund – Lige her
The playlist can be found here:
The grand final of DMGP2023 will take place live from Arena Næstved on February 11, 2023 and will be hosted by Tina Müller and Heino Hansen.
The results will be determined in 2 rounds:
- Round 1 – 100% public vote
- Round 2 – 50% national jury, 50% public vote
Last week, Estonia held the 2 semi-finals of the “Eesti Laul 2023“.
5 artists qualified from each semi-final, and 2 additional wildcards were granted by the public.
The running order for the f
Estonian broadcaster ERR revealed the running order for the “Eesti Laul 2023″ final:
- Meelik – Tuju
- Inger – Awaiting You
- Janek – House Of Glass
- Elysa – Bad Philosophy
- M els – So Good At What You Do
- Bedwetters – Monsters
- Andreas – Why Do You Love Me?
- Alika – Bridges
- Anett x Fredi – You Need to Move On
- OLLIE – Venom
- MIA – Üks samm korraga (semi-final 1)
- Sissi – Lighthouse
Links to the digital platform playlist
Finland will choose an artist and a song for Eurovision 2023 via “UMK 2023“.
YLE have released the “UMK 2023” songs day by day:
- Keira – No Business On The Dancefloor
- Benjamin Peltonen – Hoida mut
- Robin Packalen – Girls Like You
- Lxandra – Something To Lose
- Käärijä – Cha Cha Cha
- KUUMAA – Ylivoimainen
- Portion Boys – Samaa taivasta katsotaan
Playlists on different digital platforms will be updated on a daily basis:
- “UMK 2023″ will be held at Logomo, Turku, on 25th February 2023.
- The results will be determined by a combination of public voting and an international jury.
- Samu Haber will host the show.
- Katri Norrlin will be the music reporter
“The Voice of Georgia” continues this week with 4 additional eliminations.
This time, the teams of Dato Porchidze (6 members) and David Evgenidze (6 members) took the stage.
Top 4 from each team advanced for the next show.
Therefore, 16 artists remain in the race:
- Sopho Toroshelidze Team: Salome Tsintsadze, Lika Siradze, Tina Datikashvili, Mariam Toronjadze
- Dato Porchkhidze Team: Tsotne Barbakadze, Erekle Turkadze, Iru Khechanov, Tako Kakalashvili
- Stephane Mgebrishvili Team: Likuna Tutisani, Saba Chachua, Dato Rusadze, Anka Tatarashvili.
- Dato Evgenidze Team: Giorgi Dataishvili, Alegro, Giorgi Putkaradze, Kakha Aslamazashvili
The shortlisted acts for “Unser Lied für Liverpool” (Eng: our song for Liverpool) will be revealed on the 27th of January 2023.
The number of acts is still unknown, but it is between 6 and 12, most likely about 9.
On this date, the public vote for the Tik-Tok wildcard will open. The public vote will close on the 3rd of February 2023. The wildcard winner will be revealed on the 4th of February 2023 in the new show “Alles Eurovision” with Alina Stiegler and Stefan Spiegel on February 4 at 18:00 CET
ERT announces 3 super-finalists for Eurovision 2023 internal selection:
- Antonia Kaouri & Maria Maragkou – Shout Out! [pop/rock uptempo]
- Victor Vernicos – What They Say [an emotional ballad]
- Melissa Mantzoukis – Liar [dance pop that talks about women’s empowerment]
The Greek artist for Eurovision 2023 will be revealed by the end of the month.
6 artists will participate in the Irish selection “Eurosong 2023″
- ADGY – Too Good for Your Love
- Connolly – Midnight Summer Night
- Wild Youth – We Are One
- Leila Jane – Wild
- K Muni & ND – Down in the Rain
- Public Image Ltd – Hawaii
You can find the playlist here:
Noa Kirel will perform the song “Unicorn” at Eurovision 2023.
The song will be released in March 2023.
The song will talk about women’s empowerment. One of the other songs that was considered to be chosen talks about love.
The song “Unicorn” will be up-tempo, with the majority of lyrics in English. However, you will be able to hear some words in Hebrew as well.
The song will feature some oriental elements.
Noa has also stated it will be different from all of her previous songs. Might it be a new genre or different vocal abilities?
The song writers are:
- Noa Kirel
- Doron Medalie (who wrote Israeli entries for Eurovision 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020)
- DJ Yinon Yahel
- May Spadia (who wrote the song “Zaza” in the Israeli selection for Eurovision 2022)
Earlier this week, media journalists had the chance to listen to “Sanremo 2023” songs for the first time!
This is how they ranked the songs:
As you can see, Marco Mengoni (Eurovisio 2013) leads the poll.
Some of the guests for “Sanremo 2023” were revealed:
The first one is Achille Lauro, the Italian singer who participated in “Sanremo” in the past, and represented San Marino at Eurovision 2022:
Not only musicians, but also politicians will be on the guest list:
Zelenskyy, the president of Ukraine, will be a guest in the final
American musical group Black Eyed Peas will perform during the 2nd night of the festival:
Some Italian musicians will join as guests as well:
- Salmo (opening and closing night)
- Takagi & Ketra
Last but not least, Måneskin will join the guest list as well:
RAI will feature a change in last night’s format.
Instead of 3 artists qualifying for the super-final, we will have 5 super-finalists.
The winner will then be determined by a combination of jury and public (and not only the public).
“Supernova 2023” will feature 14 songs
- 24. Avēnija – You Said
- Adriana Miglāne – Like I Wanna
- Alise Haijima – Tricky
- Artūrs Hatti – Love Vibes
- Avéi – Let Me Go
- Inspo – Sway
- Justs – Stranger
- Katrine Miller – Beaten Down
- Luīze – You To Hold Me
- Markus Riva – Forever
- Patrisha – Hush
- Raum – Fake Love
- Sudden Lights – Aijā
- Toms Kalderauskis – When It All Falls
- Supernova 2023” will feature 2 shows:
- Semi-Final on Saturday, the 4th of February 2023
- Final on Saturday, the 11th of February 2023
- The results of each show will be determined by a 50% public vote and 50% professional jury
Playlists can be found here:
You can read Doron’s review here:
Lithuania will broadcast the first heat of “Pabandom iš naujo! 2023“
15 artists will particip[ate in the first heat, in the following running order:
- Aistė Pilvelytė – We’re Not Running
- Joseph June – Vacuum
- Il Senso – Sparnai
- W.I – You Can Not
- Multiks – London
- Luknė – Paradise
- Gabrielius Vagelis – Šauksmas
- Alen Chicco – Do You
- Rūta MUR – So Low
- Justin 3 feat. Dj AugustYno – Not Giving Up
- Baiba – When the Lights Go Out
- Justa Rubežiūtė – When I’ll Find
- NOY – Destiny’s Child
- Paulina Paukštaitytė – Let Me Think About Me
- Justė Kraujelytė – Need More Fun
Links to the digital platform playlist
The results will be determined by a 50% publci vote and 50% national jury.
The jury panel consists of 4 members.
The hosts of “Pabandom iš naujo! 2023” are Augustė Nombeko and Giedrius Masalskis
- Heat 1 – Saturday, 21st of January 2023
- Heat 2 – Saturday, 28th of January 2023
- Semi-Final 1 – Saturday, 4th of February 2023
- Semi-Final 2 – Saturday, 11th of February 2023
- Grand Final – Saturday, 18th of February 2023
Malta broadcasted the second quarter-final of “MESC 2023″ yesterday.
13 artists performed their songs for the first time:
- Francesca Sciberras – Masquerade
- The Busker – Dance (Our Own Party)
- Lyndsay – Haunted
- Maxine Pace – Alone
- Marie Claire – Thankful
- Ian (Janvil) – On My Own
- Kirstie – Girls Get Down
- Dario Bezzina – Bridle Road
- Brooke – Checkmate
- Mark Anthony Bartolo – Tears
- Dan – It’ll Be Ok
- Dario Mifsud Bonnici – Pawn in a game
- Matt Blxck – UP.
You can listen to 30 seconds snippets here
A total of 24 artists will qualify from the quarter-finals for the semi-final.
The results will be known only in the 4th quarter-final (after all 40 participants will perform).
About “MESC 2023”
- The selection process will include 3 quarter-finals, 1 semi-final, and a final.
- 13-14 artists will participate in each quarter-final, and 8 of them will qualify for the semi-final
- 24 artists will compete in the semi-finals, and 16 of them will qualify for the final
- 16 artists will compete in the final and the winner will represent Malta at Eurovision 2023
- The results of each show will be determined by a combination of a national jury and a public vote
- The qualifiers from the quarter-finals will be announced at the end of the last quarter-final
- The dates of selection are :
- Quarter-Final 1 – 13th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 2 – 20th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 3 – 27th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 4 (Results Show) – 4th of February 2023
- Semi-Final – 9th of February 2023
- Grand Final – 11th of February 2023
TRM announced 33 songs for the audition round:
- ADA DEEA – Mystic Rose
- Adelina Iordachi – Deja Vu
- Aliona Moon – Du-mă (Eurovision 2013)
- Angel Kiss – Now I Know
- Corina Ivanov – When Love’s Real
- COSMINA – Indestructible
- Crista – Pădure verde pădure
- Diana Elmas – Miracle (national selection 2020, 2022)
- Donia – Red Zone
- Formaţia Vele – Jocul neamului moldovenesc
- Gesica Sîrbu – I’m in love
- Harmony Scuffle – Favourite One
- Lisa Volk – Scrisoare către ţară
- LOLA – Temperatura
- Massimo Sinceri – In Questo Domani
- Nihilist & Lisa Nicky – Final Destination
- Nikko T. – Destiny
- Nino – It would be nice
- NÖRDIKA – Damn and down
- NÖRDIKA – Skueeze Paradise
- NR 11 – Adio
- OL – Why You Play It Cool
- Pasha Parfeni – Soarele şi luna (Eurovision 2012)
- Ricky Ardezianu – Una rosa rossa
- Rise – Don’t trumble
- Sasha Bognibov – My Favourite Schoolgirl (national selection multiple times)
- Sunstroke Project – Yummy Mommy (Eurovision 2010, 2017)
- Surorile Osoianu – Bade, bădişor, bădiţă
- Tania Pituşcan – Mioriţa
- Valeria Condrea – We’re now different
- VERA – Vremea ta (national selection 2018+2019)
- Victor Gulick – Let’s Dance
- Y-Limit – Live in Harmony (national selection 2022)
You can listen to the full length version, on TRM website
“Etapa Naţională 2023” – What Next?
- On the 28th of January 2023, the auditions will be broadcast live, starting at 14:00 local time.
- A jury panel consisting of 3-5 members will watch the live performances.
- Only 10 artists will qualify for the show.
- The televised show “Etapa Naţională 2023” will be held between 25th of February and 5th of March 2023.
- The results of the final will be determined by 50% public vote and 50% national jury.
Norway will hold the 2nd semi-final of “Melodi Grand Prix 2023”.
7 artists will compete for 3 spots in the final, based on 100% public vote:
- Jone – Ekke Inni Meg
- Sandra Lyng – Drøm D Bort
- Alejandro Fuentes – Fuego
- Swing’it – Prohibition
- Elsie Bay – Love You In A Dream
- Ella A – Waist
- Bjørn Olav Edvardsen – Turn Off My Heart
You can find the full playlist on different digital platforms:
You can read Doron’s review of the semi-final 2 songs here
Last week, 3 artists qualified from semi-final 1:
RTP revealed 20 artists and songs for “Festival da Canção 2023”:
Semi-Final 1 Songs (Running Order Unknown)
- Cláudia Pascoal – Nasci Maria
- April Ivy – Modo Voo
- BOLHA – Sonhos de Liberdade
- Churky – Encruzilhada
- Esse Povo – Sapatos de Cimento
- Mimicat – Ai Coração
- MoYah – Too Much Sauce
- Neon Soho – Endless World
- SAL – Viver
- You Can’t Win, Charlie Brown – Contraste Mudo
Semi-Final 2 Songs (Running Order Unknown)
- Bandua – Bandeiras
- Bárbara Tinoco – Goodnight
- DAPUNKSPORTIF – World Needs Therapy
- Edmundo Inácio – A Festa
- INÊS APENAS – Fim do Mundo
- Ivandro – Povo
- Lara Li – Funâmbula
- Teresinha Landeiro – Enquanto é tempo
- The Happy Mess – O Impossível
- Voodoo Marmalade – Tormento
Festival da Canção 2023 – Full Details
- The festival will include 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- The dates for the festival are:
- Semi-Final 1: Saturday, 25th of February 2023
- Semi-Final 2: Saturday, 4th of March 2023
- Grand Final: Saturday, 11th of March 2023
- 10 artists will compete in each of the 2 semi-finals (a total of 20 artists).
- 6 artists will qualify from each semi-final.
- The results of the semi-finals will be determined by 2 rounds:
- Round 1 – The results will be determined by 50% national jury voting and 50% public vote. Top 5 will qualify for the final
- Round 2 – The remaining 5 songs will phase another voting round that will be determined by 100% public vote. This means the 6th qualifier will be chosen by the public!
- Tânia Ribas de Oliveira and José Carlos Malato will host semi-final 1.
- Sónia Araújo and Jorge Gabrie will host semi-final 2
- Filomena Cautela and Vasco Palmeirim will host the grand final
- Inês Lopes Gonçalves will be the green room host along with all the shows.
12 artists will compete in “Selecția Națională 2023“:
- Deiona – Call on me
- Andrada Popa – No time for me
- Ocean Drive – Take you home
- AMIA – Puppet
- Andrei Duţu – Statues
- Theodor Andrei – D.G.T. (Off and on)
- Steven Roho x Gabriella x Formaţia Albatros – Lele
- Aledaida – Bla Bla Bla
- Adriana Moraru – Faralaes
- Maryliss – Hai Vino (Eng: Come On)
- JaxMan (Erin Dăneţ) – Bad&cool
- Andreea D Folclor Orchestra – Periniţa mea (Eng: My Little Girl)
For some of the songs, the official video clips / audio versions were released:
More than 1000 submissions were sent to “Una Voce Per San Marino 2023“
The submissions came from the following countries:
Italy, San Marino, Poland, Germany, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Russia, United Kingdom, United States, Finland, Malta, Australia, Switzerland, Belarus, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Mexico, Norway, Greece, Ukraine, Ireland, Israel, Azerbaijan, Croatia, North Macedonia, Romania, Latvia, Albania, and Sweden
A list of 150 artists who will take part in the January 2023 casting can be found here
There’s speculation about who stands behind “Salvaje.” Can it be Ronela Hajati?
The song for Eurovision 2023 will be released on the 4th of February 2023.
Joker Out will represent the country with a song in the Slovenian language.
The premiere of the song will be in the “Misija Liverpool” show.
Fans will be able to attend the recording of the show, a week earlier
RTVE’s jury ranking for “Benidorm Fest 2023” songs has been revealed.
These are the jury who shortlisted the songs:
- Aritz – Flamenco – 146 points
- Alice Wonder – Yo Quisiera – 125 points
- José Otero – Inviernos En Marte – 110 points
- Blanca Paloma – Eaea – 101 points
- Twin Melody – Sayonara – 99 points
- Alfred García – Desde Que Tú Estás – 99 points
- E’Femme – Uff! – 91 points
- Meler – No Nos Moverán – 89 points
- Megara – Arcadia – 87 points
- Famous – La Lola – 81 points
- Sofía Martín – Tuki – 79 points
- Fusa Nocta – Mi Familia – 79 points
- Vicco – Nochentera – 78 points
- Rakky Ripper –Tracción – 76 points
- Sharonne –Aire – 66 points
- Agoney – Quiero Arder – 65 points
- Siderland –Que Esclati Tot – 64 points
- Karmento – Quiero Y Duelo – 55 points
You can read Doron‘s review here
Links to the digital platform playlist
Rumors regarding potential artists to represent the UK are still running.
The new names are:
- Leigh-Anne Pinnock (member of Little Mix)
- Atomic Kitten
- Ellie Goulding
According to Ben from TaP music, the artist hasn’t been chosen yet