Yesterday, the Italian broadcaster RAI announced some changes regarding the regulation of “Sanremo Giovani“.
Usually, Italy chooses an artist and a song for Eurovision via the traditional music festival – “Festival Di Sanremo”.
“Sanremo Giovani” is an Italian music competition that has been held in Sanremo since 1993. Young singers participate with the aim of being selected – in different ways from year to year – for the Sanremo Festival the following year.
Format of “Sanremo Giovani 2021”
- Young singers between the ages of 16 and 30 are welcome to participate
- Each of them has to submit 2 different original songs: one of them is intended for “Sanremo Giovani 2021“, while the other is intended for “Festival Di Sanremo 2022“.
- 30 candidates among the applicants will be shortlisted for the live auditions of Sanremo Giovani 2021“.
- 12 singers will be chosen out of 30: 8 singers will be chosen by a music committee (lead by Amadeus) and 4 others will be chosen by the Area Sanremo process. These 12 artists will participate in the grand final of “Sanrenmo Giovani 2021”.
- The final of “Sanrenmo Giovani 2021″ will be held on the 15th of December 2021.
- Top 2 singers in the grand final of “Sanrenmo Giovani 2021″, wil lhave the right to compete in “Festival Di Sanremo 2022”, alongside the big artists.
- Record companies must be sent to the Festival Organization – starting Thursday 16th of September 2021 and strictly no later than Saturday 16th October 2021.
Amadeus, the art director of “Sanremo festival” reacted:
Again this year it will be a great challenge – and also a privilege to discover and find emerging artists – to be launched and enhanced in a live broadcast on Rai1 in December. Italian music is experiencing a moment of great vitality, and as always, Rai is on the side of artists and young people
About “Festival Di Sanremo 2022”
“Festival Di Sanremo 2022″ will be held at the beginning of February 2022. The festival will last 5 days: starting on Tuesday the 1st of February 2022 and ending on Saturday the 5th of February 2022.
As always, we can expect big names to participate in the festival alongside the top 2 finishers of “Sanrenmo Giovani 2021″.
In 2019, Mahmood was one of the 2 winners of “Sanrenmo Giovani” and ended up winning the whole “Sanreno 2019” festival.
Later on, he was announced as Eurovision 2019 runner-up with the song “Soldi“
Currently, 31 countries are confirmed for Eurovision 2022:
Italy (Host Country)