On the 17th of September 2022, Slovenia confirmed participation at Eurovision 2023.
It was revealed that Slovenia considered withdrawing from the contest, but in the end they decided to compete (and we are all happy about this!)
Vanjo Vardjan, editor-in-chief of entertainment program at RTV SLO, gave an interview to the Slovenian website novice.svet24 where he revealed that Slovenia will hold a national selection for Eurovision 2023, probably “EMA 2023”
If we compare the timeline to those of last year, it seems that “EMA Freš” won’t be part of the selection process for Eurovision 2023.
But of course this might be a little different this year.
During the interview, it was revealed that RTV SLO Councilor Sašo Hribar preffered Slovenia to withdraw from Eurovision.
We should not participate in Eurovision for several years, because no one takes responsibility for poor rankings year after year.
However, Eurovision is a wonderful opportunity to expose Slovenia to hundreds of millions of viewers, and give Slovenian artists a chance to get worldwide recognition
Vanjo Vardjan reveals some interesting details about Slovenian participation at Eurovision:
- The estimated cost of Slovenian participation at Eurovision 2022 was around 208K euros.
- 89K euros of which were spent on “EMA 2022”.
- The performance at Eurovision 2022 demanded 119K euros.
- The participation fee to the EBU was around 40% of the performance cost (around 48K euros)
- Slovenia‘s costs are among the 3 lowest among more than 35 delegations every year.
- Around 242,000 viewers watched the “EMA 2022” final, while 147,000 viewers watched at least one of the semi-finals of “EMA 2022″.
- Slovenia doesn’t take part in Junior Eurovision due to the low number of countries in this contest (usually less than 20, while around 40 countries are competing at Eurovision
We would like to remind you that RTV SLO hasn’t confirmed “EMA 2023” as the selection process for Eurovision 2023 in an official way.
However, this is a direct conclusion from the mentioned interview.
Who would you like to see representing Slovenia at Eurovision 2023?
Would you prefer a national or internal selection for Eurovision 2023?