As the submission window for “Festival da Canção 2023” closed,
Portuguese broadcaster RTP shared that 667 songs were submitted to the festival.
Last year, more than 600 songs were submitted for the festival.
The festival is divided into 2 groups of submissions:
- Free Path – Intended for any musician that wants to apply
- Chosen composers – 16 composers received a direct invitation from the broadcaster. Their spot at the festival is guaranteed. They are not necessarily the performers of the songs.
“Festival da Canção 2023” – Recap
- The festival will include 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- The shows will be held in February and March 2023.
- 10 artists will compete in each of the 2 semi-finals (a total of 20 artists).
- 6 artists will qualify from each semi-final.
- The results of the semi-finals will be determined by 2 rounds:
- Round 1 – The results will be determined by 50% national jury voting and 50% public vote. Top 5 will qualify for the final
- Round 2 – The remaining 5 songs will phase another voting round that will be determined by 100% public vote. This means the 6th qualifier will be chosen by the public!
Maro represented Portugal at Eurovision 2022 with the song ”Saudade Saudade”.
She finished in 9th place in the final.
Who will represent Portugal at Eurovision 2023?
Will the country qualify for the final and end on the left side of the scoreboards for the 3rd time in a row?