Portuguese broadcaster RTP revealed 20 authors of 20 songs who will try to represent the nation at the Eurovision Song Contest.
RTP invited 16 authors to get a direct path for “Festival da Canção 2023“.
However, one of them has given up the invitation.
In addition, the public was able to submit songs as well.
667 songs were submitted in the open path of which 4 should have been selected.
Therefore, RTP has decided to accept 5 public submissions from the submitted songs, on top of the 15 pre-selected authors.
Here are all 20 authors in alphabetical order:
- ANDRÉ HENRIQUES
- APRIL IVY
- BARBARA TINOCO
- CLAUDIA PASCOAL
- EDMUNDO INÁCIO (Open Call Submission)
- INESE ONLY (Open Call Submission)
- MIMICAT (Open Call Submission)
- MOYAH (Open Call Submission)
- NEON SOHO
- QUIM ALBERGARIA
- TERESINHA LANDEIRO
- THE HAPPY MES
- VOODOO MARMALADE (Open Call Submission)
- YOU CAN’T WIN CHARLIE BROWN
Eurovision may fans recognize 2 of the names, which are
Cláudia Pascoal who represented Portugal at Eurovision Song Contest 2018
Bárbara Tinoco who participated in Festival da Canção 2020
Meanwhile, April Ivy was recommended to represent Portugal at Eurovision by us.
Th recommendation came up last July for our special Eurovision wishlist project – “The Looker”
“Festival da Canção 2023” – Recap
- The festival will include 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- The shows will be held in February and March 2023.
- 10 artists will compete in each of the 2 semi-finals (a total of 20 artists).
- 6 artists will qualify from each semi-final.
- The results of the semi-finals will be determined by 2 rounds:
- Round 1 – The results will be determined by 50% national jury voting and 50% public vote. Top 5 will qualify for the final
- Round 2 – The remaining 5 songs will phase another voting round that will be determined by 100% public vote. This means the 6th qualifier will be chosen by the public!
Maro represented Portugal at Eurovision 2022 with the song ”Saudade Saudade”.
She finished in 9th place in the final.