As we continue our weekly series Around The Continent, we will discuss the news and tell the story of each country’s preparation for the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.
Luka Cruysberghs, who was the lead singer of Hooverphonic in 2020, should have represented the country at Eurovision 2020, revealed she submitted songs for “Eurosong 2023“.
According to her, one of the songs was “Lied To You”
VRT has probably rejected her submissions due to the fact that she performed one of the songs in a live performance in October, as part of her debut album promotion.
Last week, we reported that 196 songs were submitted for “Dora 2023″.
HRT, with the help of a professional jury panel and Eurovision fans, has shortlisted submissions to 28 songs.
14 artists will compete in each one of the 2 semi-finals.
“Dora 2023” will be held in the city of Opetija, during February 2023
Among the artists that have submitted entries, we can find several former Eurovision participants who represented Croatia or Yoguslavia, as well as “Dora” participants. from the past.
- Daniel Popović (Eurovision 1983)
- Igor Cukrov (Eurovision 2009)
- Damir Kedžo (Eurovision 2020)
- Vlatka Pokos (Dora 2006)
- Ibrica Jusić (Dora 2004 – 2008)
- Dražen Žanko (Dora 1993, 1997, 2009, 2010)
- Siniša Vuco
- Željko Krušlin Kruška
HRT plans to hold 5 weeks promotion events for “Dora 2023“.
The list of artists is expected to be published during December 2022 or at the beginning of January 2023
According to OGAE Greece, CyBC plans to release the Cypriot song for Eurovision 2023 during January 2023.
He has also given an interview, where he claimed that the recording session was satisfying and the song is special for him.
Andrew Lambrou took a flight to Sweden in order to record his song for Eurovision 2023.
Behind the songs are songwriters and producers from Sweden, like Jimmy Jansson, Thomas Stengaard, Marcus Winther John and Jimmy Joker.
The song will probably be a mid-tempo pop.
The 24 songs in “Eesti Laul 2023” were released on Friday, 2nd of December 2022:
The YouTube playlist is available here:
- Alika – Bridges
- Carlos Ukareda – Whiskey Won’t Forget
- Andreas – Why Do You Love Me
- Elysa – Bad Philosophy
- Anett x Fredi – You Need to Move On
- Kaw – Valik
- Inger – Awaiting You
- Sissi – Lighthouse
- Wiiralt – Salalik
- Neon Letters & Maiko – Tokimeki
- OLLIE – Venom
- Ellip – Pretty Girl
- Robin Juhkental – Kurbuse matused
- MERLYN – Unicorn Vibes
- Meelik – Tuju
- M els – So Good At What You Do
- JANEK – House of Glass
- MIA – Üks samm korraga
- Linalakk & Bonzo – Aeg
- Bedwetters – Monsters
“Eesti Laul 2023” – Recap
- ERR has received 217 submissions for the Estonian national selection ”Eesti Laul 2023”.
- The songs will be heard for the first time in a special ETV program on December 2
- 10 songs will compete in each one of the 2 semi-finals. 6 of them will qualify for the final from each semi-final.
- The results of each show will be determined by 2 rounds. In the first round, by a combination of 50% jury vote and 50% public vote. In the second round, the results will be determined by the public vote.
- The dates for “Eesti Laul 2023” are:
- Semi-Final 1: Thursday, 12th January 2023
- Semi-Final 2: Saturday, 14th January 2023
- Grand Final: Saturday, 11th February 2023
- The semi-finals will take place in Viimsi Artium
- The final will be held at the Tondiraba Ice Hall in Tallinn.
- The semi-final alloxation draw will be determined later on.
Finnish broadcaster YLE revealed that Samu Haber will host the national selection for Eurovision 2023 – “UMK 2023“
“UMK 2023” – Known Details
- “UMK 2023″ will be held at Logomo, Turku, on 25th February 2023.
- 7 artists will compete in “UMK 2023“.
- The list of artists will be published on the 11t of January 2023.
- The song will be released, once per day, starting on the 12th of January 2023.
- The results will be determined by a combination of public voting and an international jury.
- Hints on the seven finalists are:
- Dance song by an unbelievably strong new singer
- Sex-oozing song by a well-known artist
- Heartbreaking ballad by one of Finland’s biggest export hopefuls
- Strong rap banger
- Well-known and up-and-coming bands
- Katri Norrlin will be the music reporter
The first episode of “The Voice of Georgia 2023” will be broadcast on Thursday, the 8th of December 2022
The program will last for 10 weeks.
This means that the Georgian artist will be chosen around the beginning-middle of February 2023.
4 coaches will be part of the panel jury:
- Sopho Toroshelidze – Sopho was the lead singer of Eldrine who represented Georgia at Eurovision 2011. In 2014, she joined the jury panel of “X Factor Georgia“. She has also been part of the Georgian jury for Junior Eurovision
- Stephane Mgebrishvili – He has been a judge on “X Factor Georgia” and “The Voice of Georgia“. He is mostly known in the Eurovision fandom as part of Stephane and 3G, who should represent Georgia at Eurovision 2009
- Dato Evgenidze – He composed soundtracks for theatre and cinema.He is also well known for being a juror in “Renina” (Georgian selection for Junior Eurovision).
- Dato Porchkhidze – was a mentor the previous season and his team won twice
The submission window for “Unser Lied für Liverpool closed.
Over 250 songs were submitted for the national selection.
You can listen to some of the TikTok submissions here
ERT has decided to change the format of the internal selection for Eurovision 2023.
The new method suggests a combination of a professional jury and a public committee:
- Professional jury – committee composed of 7 members, Dimitris Papadimitriou will head the ERT committee.
- Public committee – ERT will invite representatives from the public who will be able to listen to the songs. The aim is to reach different ages of music listen to represent the demography in the best way.
The weight of the professional jury will be 49.4%, while the public will have a weight of 50.6%.
The 22 established artists in “Festival Di Sanremo 2023” will be revealed on the 4th of December 2022, at 13:30 CET during the TG1.
On the 16th of December 2022, 12 finalists of “Sanremo Giovani 2022″ will copmete for 3 spots in “Festival Di Sanremo 2023“:
- gIANMARIA – La città che odi (Eng: The city you hate)
- Giuse The Lizia – Sincera (Eng: Sincere)
- Maninni – Mille Porte (Eng: A thousand doors)
- Mida – Malditè (Eng: Damn / Cursed)
- OLLY – L’anima balla (Eng: The soul dances)
- Sethu – Sottoterra (Eng: Underground)
- Shari – Sotto Voce (Eng: Under the heading)
- Will – Le cose più importanti (Eng: The most important things)
- Colla Zio – Asfalto (Eng: Asphalt)
- Fiat 131 – Pupille (Eng: Pupils)
- Noor – Tua Amelie (Eng: Your Amelie)
- Romeo & Drill – Giorno di scuola (Eng: School day)
Partial playlist is available on different digital platforms:
Just before the official announcement of the candidates, we would like to remind you of the hottest names in the mix of rumors:
- Emma Marrone (Eurovision 2014, “Sanremo 2012”, “Sanremo 2022”)
- Marco Mengoni (Eurovision 2013, “Sanremo 2013”)
- Francesca Michielin (Eurovision 2016, “Sanremo 2021”)
- Levante (“Sanremo 2020”)
- Madamme (“Sanremo 2021”)
- Elodie (“Sanremo 2020”)
- Tananai (“Sanremo 2022”)
- Nada (“Sanremo 2007”)
- Gino Paoli (“Sanremo 2002”)
- Paola (Sanremo 1997, 2019) & Chiara (Sanremo 1997, 2017)
- Giorgia (“Sanremo” 1994, 1995, 2001)
- Colapesce, Dimartino (“Sanremo 2021”)
- Alex & Sissi (she participated in “X Factor Italy 2019” and “Sanremo Giovani 2020“)
- Vasco Brondi
- Fred De Palma
- Luigi Strangis (“Amici 2021”)
- Rosa Chemical
A total of 121 songs were submitted for Supernova 2023. In 2022, around 130 songs were submitted
The jury included representatives of the Latvian music industry, events and television, as well as foreign professionals. Their names will be revealed only after the final of “Supernova 2023”.
The criteria were:
- Song structure – originality, arrangement, message, compliance with modern market trends
- Song and Participant’s opportunities and potential to compete in the international pop music market
- Performer’s vocal abilities and personality
- Past achievements in the industry or potential for future achievements and existence in the real market.
In January 2023, LTV will publish the names of the entries selected by the jury and enter the next round, including Song Authors.
The public will have a say in choosing a reduced number of acts for the next round.
The number of shows “Supernova 2023” is still unknown, but will probably include at least 2 television shows
Maltese broadcaster TVM held a press conference about “MESC 2023” with the presence of all the artists.
PBS executive chairman Dr Mark Sammut said the changes are being carried out to provide a wider opportunity for Maltese singers to showcase their talent in this festival which is attracting large Maltese audiences.
Allocation draw to determine who will open and close the quarter-finals was held.
Haley will open quarter-final 1 with the song “Tik Tok“, while Maria Christina will close quarter-final 4 with the song “Our Flame“.
4 locally renowned singers – Paul Giordimaina, Mike Spiteri, Ludwig Galea and Moira Stafrace will be serving as consultants.
About “MESC 2023”
- The selection process will include 4 quarter-finals, 1 semi-final, and a final.
- 10 artists will participate in each quarter-final, and 6 of them will qualify for the semi-final
- 24 artists will compete in the semi-finals, and 16 of them will qualify for the final
- 16 artists will compete in the final and the winner will represent Malta at Eurovision 2023
- The results of each show will be determined by a combination of a national jury and a public vote
- The qualifiers from the quarter-finals will be announced at the end of the 4th quarter-final
- The draw for the quarter-finals will take place in November.
- The deadline for remastering will be the 1st of December 2022.
- The dates of selection are:
- Quarter-Final 1 – 13th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 2 – 20th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 3 – 27th of January 2023
- Quarter-Final 4 – 3rd of February 2023
- Semi-Final – 9th of February 2023
- Grand Final – 11th of February 2023
Norwegian broadcaster NRK revealed the full details of the national selection for Eurovision 2023: “Melodi Grand Prix 2023“.
- Arian Engebø and Stian “Staysman” Thorbjørnsen will host “Melodi Grand Prix 2023″
- 3 semi-final and a grand final will compose the selection.
- The final will be held in Trondheim, Norway.
- A total of 21 artist will particiapte: 7 artists will compete in each one of the 3 semi-finals.
- 3 artists will qualify from each semi-final.
- Duels and second chances won’t be part of the format.
- Neither of the acts will pre-qualify for the final.
- The results will be determined by a combination of public vote and international jury
- Dates are as follows:
- Revealing of participants: Wednesday, 4th of January 2023
- Semi-Final 1 Songs Revealed: Monday, 9th of January 2023
- Semi-Final 1: Saturday, 14th January 2023
- Semi-Final 2 Songs Revealed: Monday, 16th of January 2023
- Semi-Final 2: Saturday, 21st January 2023
- Semi-Final 3 Songs Revealed: Monday, 23rd of January 2023
- Semi-Final 3: Saturday, 28th January 2023
- Grand Final: Saturday, 4th February 2023
55 artists who will take part in the auditions for “Una Voce Per San Marino 2023” were announced.
You can find the full list here
One of them is Nicole Hammett, who participated in “MESC 2022″:
According to unofficial reports, more than 900 songs were submitted for “pesma za evroviziju 2023″ – the Serbian selection for Eurovision 2023
According to local media, it seems like “EMA 2023” preparations will start next week
The 28 artists who will take part in “Melodifestivalen 2023” revealed:
Heat 1 – 4th of February 2023
- Victor Crone – Diamonds
- Rejhan – Haunted
- Loulou LaMotte – Inge Sorger
- Eva Rydberg & Ewa Roos – Länge Leve Livet (Eng: Long Live Life)
- Elov & Beny – Raggen Går
- Tone Sekelius – Rhythm Of My Show
- Jon Henrik Fjällgren, Arc North feat. Adam Woods – Where You Are (Sávečan)
Heat 2 – 11th of February 2023
- Wiktoria – “All My Life” (Where Have You Been)
- Eden – “Comfortable”
- Uje Brandelius – “Grytan” (Eng: Stew)
- Theoz – “Mer Av Dig”
- Maria Sur – “Never Give Up”
- Tennessee Tears – “Now I Know”
- Panetoz – “On My Way”
Heat 3 – 18th of February 2023
- Marcus & Martinus – Air
- Melanie Wehbe – For The Show
- Ida-Lova – Låt Hela Stan Se På
- Paul Ray – Royals
- Nordman – Släpp Alla Sorger (Eng: Let Go of All Sorrows)
- Laurell – Sober
- Casanovas – Så Kommer Känslorna Tillbaka
(Eng: So The Feelings Come Back)
Heat 4 – 25th of February 2023
- Signe & Hjördis – Edelweiss
- Axel Schylström – Gorgeous
- Emil Henrohn – Mera Mera Mera
- Mariette – One Day
- Smash Into Pieces – Six Feet Under
- Loreen – Tattoo
- Kiana Blanckert – Where Did You Go?
Switzerland is towards the last stages of selecting a song and an artist for Eurovision 2023.0
The selection process was composed of multi-phases. The results will be determined by 2 groups of voters:
- Expert Jury – A group of 20 music experts that were already involved in different selection processes or voting on the Eurovision jury, or even competing in Eurovision in the past.
- 100 audience viewers who have been recruited by Swiss broadcasters.
Each one of the groups has a weight of 50% in the final decision.
One of the expert jury members was Ovi, who represented Romania at Eurovision 2010 and 2014, (alongside Paula).
The songs for “Vidbir 2023” were released:
The running order will be as follows, you can reach to each song by clicking on its title:
- Moisei – I’m Not Alone
- OY Sound System – Ой, тужу (Eng: Oh, I miss you.)
- DEMCHUK – Alive
- Jerry Heil – WHEN GOD SHUT THE DOOR
- FIINKA – Довбуш (Eng: Dovbush)
- KRUTЬ – Колискова (Eng: Lullaby)
- Tember Blanche – Я вдома (Eng: I’m Home)
- Angelina – Stronger
- 2TONE – Квітка (Eng: Flower)
- TVORCHI – Heart Of Steel
Doron‘s review will be published very soon!