Greece has decided!
16 years old Victor Vernikos will represent the country at Eurovision 2023 with the song “What They Say.” His song is an emotional ballad.
The singer-songwriter also has Danish roots.
Greece at Eurovision 2023
106 songs were submitted this year.
In the first phase, a professional committee listened to the songs and shortlisted 7 of them:
- Leon of Athens – Somewhere to Go [upbeat dance-pop with influences of the 1980’s music]
- Antonia Kaouri & Maria Maragkou – Shout Out! [pop/rock uptempo]
- Konstantina Iosifidou – We are Young [a pop rock song]
- Klavdia – Holy Water [melodic ballad with significant lyrics]
- Monika – I’m Proud [mid-tempo song]
- Victor Vernicos – What They Say [an emotional ballad]
- Melissa Mantzoukis – Liar [dance pop that talks about women’s empowerment]
A total of 70 people from the public were chosen, with the following composition:
- 25 people from the age of 18-25 years old
- 20 people from the age of 26-35 years old
- 15 people from the age of 36-45 years old
- 10 people from the age of 46+ years old
They functioned as an additional jury panel.
The Greek entry for Eurovision 2023 was chosen by a combination of 50.6% for the dermoscopic jury and 49.4% for the professional jury (composed of 7 members).
The aim of these weights is to make it similar to the new voting system of Eurovision 2023.
In the public vote, we will have an additional country – “The rest of the world”.
The date when the song will be released is still unknown.
However, following the patterns from recent years, we can expect the song to be released in March 2023.
In the meantine, you can listen to his song “Fake Club” which was released in 2021
After achieving 2 consecutive top 10 places, will Greece do it for the third time in a row?
It will be the first time since 2009 that Greece is represented by a male solo singer (not to consider 2001, 2014 and 2016 where groups represented the country)
Don’t forget to visit our full guide to Eurovision 2023: Our Eurovision 2023 homepage