Earlier today, Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS opened the submission window for Eurovision 2024.
Shortly after the grand final of Eurovision 2023, The Netherlands confirmed participation at Eurovision 2024. However, at this point, it wasn’t clear whether the broadcaster would stick to the internal selection or change to the national selection format.
Today, we got the answers!
Avrotros hasn’t changed the format of the selection, but the composition of the professional committee has changed.
Twan van de Nieuwenhuijzen, who has acted as the head of the contest between 2021 and 2023, will be the head of the committee and will be the new head of the delegation.
AVROTROS will also be looking for new members to supplement the current selection committee.
I am proud of AVROTROS’ request to lead this challenging and unique project. I am looking forward to using the knowledge and experience I have gained in recent years at the Eurovision Song Contest to create a strong and convincing entry for the Netherlands.
Eric van Stade, the former head of the Dutch delegation, commented
: “ In our view, Twan van de Nieuwenhuijzen is the perfect candidate to lead the project organization of the Dutch delegation. With his many years of experience as Head of Contest at the Eurovision Song Contest, I hand over my role as chairman of the selection committee to him with great confidence .”
- The submission window opened today (11th of July 2023) and will close on the 30th of September 2023.
- Artists, composers, lyricists, producers, and record labels are cordially invited to submit an authentic, distinctive, and competitive song
- Each artist/composer/writer can submit up to 3 songs.
- There are no restrictions regarding the language of the songs.
- All vocals must be sung live
- The rest of the conditions are derived from the EBU’s regulations:
- The maximum song duration is 3 minutes.
- Performers must be at least 16 years old in April 2024.
- No more than 6 people will be allowed on stage.
- The songs haven’t been released before September 1st
- Each entry will receive a confirmation of the correct receipt.
- In a number of sessions, the committee selects a small number of promising entries.
- The teams behind these entries can be invited to come and sing the song live and discuss the possible further path.
- The aim is to make the final choice by mid-December at the latest.
Mia Nicolai and Dion Cooper represented The Netherlands at Eurovision 2023.
They performed the song “Burning Daylight“.
Unfortunately, they failed to qualify for the grand final: