Denmark will choose its Eurovision 2024 act through “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024”
Danish broadcaster revealed additional details regarding the national selection for Eurovision 2024:
“Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024” – Known Details
- The submission window and will close on the 27th of October 2023.
- “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024” will be held on Saturday, the 17th of February 2024.
- The show will be held at the Concert Hall in DR Koncerthuset.
- The results will be based on jury voted and public vote. However, this time the number of jury will increase and will also feature international members.
- Submissions will be made online via the DR website
- 8 songs will be shortlisted to participated in the televised show.
- A professional jury will listen to the submitted song. Some songs will be sent, due to a direct approach of the Danish broadcaster to Danish musicians.
- Either the composer, lyricist or performing artist must be a Danish citizen or have a similarly strong connection to Denmark. This includes Danes living in the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
- Composers and lyricists can submit several entries.
- There’s no language restriction. However, DR might be involved in choosing the final language for the winning entry.
- At Eurovision the Danish song must performed as singback, all vocals must be live (no pre-recorded vocals)
- DR will release the shortlisted song in a batch.
DR held several meetings in order to improve the selection process, trying to point out ways to take the country back to the final. The last time Denmark qualified for the final was in 2019.
These led to design a new strategy and vision.
Erik Struve Hansen, who is in charge of “Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024” commented:
We have looked at the show at the seams, our whole approach to artists and the music. We’ve looked at what works in Eurovision and what doesn’t. It requires a strong song, a strong vocalist and a very strong performance. It is a kind of trinity. It is important that all three things play a role
The emphasis will be put not only on the performance, but also on the song and its catchiness.
They aim to choose memorable songs which immediately click with the listeners.
With the involvement of an international jury, DR hopes to choose a song that will be attractive not only for the local public but for the whole of Europe.
Reiley represented Denmark at Eurovision 2023.
They performed the song “Breaking My Heart” and ended up in 14th place in the second semi-final with a total of 6 points.
Who would you like to see representing Denmark at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official