On the 12th of July 2023, Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS opened the submission window for Eurovision 2024.
The submission window closed yesterday, the 30th of September 2023.
What Can We Tell About The Submitted Songs?
- According to the Dutch broadcaster’s official statement , Avrotros received more than 600 songs for Eurovision 2024 internal selection. This is a record number of submissions compared to previous years in the same selection format.
- The songs are of diverse genres: pop, dance, rock, hip-hop, soul, opera, R&B and reggae, and more.
- Among the artists who have submitted their candidacy, we are able to find young artists, alongside well-known artists.
- The majority of the submitted songs are written in English, however around 100 of them feature different languages: Dutch, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish and Turkish.
- The professional committee is likely to get a final decision regarding the chosen songs around the mid of December 2023.
Twan van de Nieuwenhuijzen, who has acted as the head of the contest between 2021 and 2023, was assigned the new head of the committee and will be the new head of the delegation.
AVROTROS also found new members to supplement the current selection committee: Jacqueline Govaert and Jaap Reesem
Among the artists who expressed their interest in submitting an entry, we can mention:
- Numidia – a Dutch-Moroccan singer who submitted a mid-tempo song that showcases her multi-cultural influences. Her song was co-written by Douwe Bob
- Douwe Bob – submitted 2 songs, one of them as a performer. He represented the country at Eurovision 2016 with “Slow Down.”
- Tim Douwsma
- Joost Klein
- The Jordan
- The band Voz
- Louisa Janssen
- Kris Kross Amsterdam
- Leonie Meijer
Twan van de Nieuwenhuijzen commented:
The interest in participating is enormous and diverse. It is nice to see that the Eurovision Song Contest is alive and well in the Netherlands: both young talent and well-known artists have registered. Because of all these entries and also because of the enthusiastic conversations that have been had with artists, record labels, composers, lyricists and producers in recent months, I have a lot of confidence in finding the right song and artist this year.”
Mia Nicolai and Dion Cooper represented The Netherlands at Eurovision 2023.
They performed the song “Burning Daylight“.
Unfortunately, they failed to qualify for the grand final:
Who would you like to see representing The Netherlands at Eurovision 2024?
Will the country qualify for the final after 1 year on non-qualifying.
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official