In June 2023, Norwegian broadcaster NRK opened the submission window for “Melodi Grand Prix 2024”. The submission window closed on the 31st of August 2023.
Stig Karlsen, the head of the Norwegian delegation and producer of the “Melodi Grand Prix 2024” revealed some new details about the national final this year. He spoke to the Norwegian fans, and the details have been revealed on ESC Norge
“Melodi Grand Prix 2024” – Known Details
- NRK representatives are still assessing the submitted the songs.
- The artists will probably be revealed on Wednesday, the 5th of January 2024.
- “Melodi Grand Prix 2024″ will feature 3 semi-finals and a grand final.
- The provisional dates are:
- Semi-Final 1: Saturday, the 13th of January 2024
- Semi-Final 2: Saturday, the 20th of January 2024
- Semi-Final 3: Saturday, the 27th of January 2024
- Final: Saturday, the 3rd of February 2024
- 6 artists will compete in each semi-final, 3 artists will qualify from each semi-final to the final.
- The pair who will host the contest was described as a “surprising one”.
- A wide range of genres were detected among the submissions, we well asmix of young and old artists.
- In contrast to the past editions, the submitted songs can be released after the 1st of September. In the past, NRK prohibited releasing the songs before the announcements of the candidates.
- The choreographer Mona Berntsen will be the new stage director, after Mattias Carlsson (who acted as stage director between 2008 and 2023) retired. Mona Berntsen was one of the backing dancers for Madonna at Eurovision 2019.
- We can assume that the voting system will remain the same as in 2023: a 100% public vote in the semi-finals, while international jury will be involved in the final, alongside the public vote.
Alessandra Mele represented Norway at Eurovision 2023 with the song “Queen of Kings”.
She ended up in 5th place with a total of 268 points:
Who would you like to see representing Norway at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official