According to the Swedish broadcaster SVT, the names of 30 artists who will take part in “Melodifestivalen 2024″ will be revealed on Friday, the 1st of December 2023.
The artists will be revealed in a special press conference, hosted by the “Melodifestivalen” producer, Karin Gunnarson.
SVT will reveal the artists, alongside the songwriters and song titles.
The running order will be revealed in a later date, while the songs themselves will premiere on the show (with snippets 2 days before)
As every year, some of the artists will be known ones from previous editions of the “Melodifestivalen”
“Melodifestivalen 2024” – Known Details
- The new format will still feature 6 shows, but in a different composition: 5 heats and a grand final (instead of 4 heats, semi-final/second chance and a a grand final).
- The schedule for “Melodifestivalen 2024” will be:
- Heat 1 – Saturday, 3rd of February 2024: Malmö Arena, Malmö (Eurovision 2024 venue)
- Heat 2 – Saturday, 10th of February 2024: Scandinavium, Gothenburg
- Heat 3 – Saturday, 17th of February 2024: Vida Arena, Växjö
- Heat 4 – Saturday, 24th of February 2024: Stiga Sports Arena, Eskilstuna
- Heat 5 – Saturday, 2nd of March 2024: Löfbergs Arena, Karlstad
- Final – Saturday, 9th of March 2024: Friends Arena, Stockholm
- A total of 30 songs will be shortlisted to participate in “Melodifestivalen 2024″.
- The songs have been chosen from the submissions, as well as artists who will get an invitation from SVT.
- 6 artists will compete in each heat (instead of 7 artists per heat). This will also increase the number of songs from 28 to 30.
- A total of 12 artists will qualify for the final (as previously):
- 10 artists will qualify from the heat to the final (Top 2 form each of the 5 heats).
- Additional 2 artists will get a wild card. The 10 artists who would end in the 3rd-4th place in the heats will have to chance to compete for additional 2 spots in the final.
- The second chance round will be held during the 5th heat (which therefore will be longer).
- The artists who will compete in the second chance round won’t perform live. A recap of their performances will be presented to the viewers.
- So far, no changes were marked regarding the voting system.
Loreen represented Sweden at Eurovision 2023 with the song “Tattoo“.
She ended up as the winner of Eurovision 2023:
Who would you like to see representing Sweden at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-finals will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11th of May 2024.
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official