“Around The Continent” is a series of posts where we will give you all the main news of the week
In an interview, Anxhela Peristeri gave to the podcast “Eurovision Buddies“, the singer was asked about whether the song will be kept in Albanian or translated to English.
The singer answered that the song will be kept in Albanian!
She will spend the left months until Eurovision for working on the stage performance. The dancers will probably remain for the Eurovision performance itself. She said that she has always thought to sing in Albanian if she goes to Eurovision.
In contrast to last years, the song is already in the maximum allowed duration for Eurovision (3 minutes).
During the interview, you can hear the singer speaking in Greek. She has lives in Greece for years and her father is of Greek origin.
According to BTRC (The Belarusian broadcaster), the submission window for Eurovision 2021 has been already announced!
A few months ago, we have revealed that Belarus won’t internally choose VAL to represent the country at Eurovision 2021.
Therefore, it seems like we will have another national selection in 2021.
The submission window has been opened today and will be closed on the 31st of January 2021.
The main rules are:
1. The songs must be no longer than 3 minutes.
2. The lyrics can be in any language
3. The singer/s must be at least 16 years old. Both solo performers and groups of no more than 6 people are invited to participate
4 . The submission must include a live performance of the song.
5. Each artists can submit only one song.
6. The song hasn’t been released yet.
7. Non- Belarusian singers are welcome to compete as well.
8. Foreign writers and composers can be involved in the submitted act.
The format of the national selection will be determined later on regarding the Covid-19 pandemic situation.
The full information as well as the submission if the songs can be found here
The Hooverphonic band will represent Belgium at Eurovision 2021. As we have reported before, the band line-up has been changed: The lead vocalist Luka was replaced by Geike Arnaert.
The change in the line-up made the decision of selecting a song for Eurovision 2021 to be a harder one. According to Alex Callier, the front-man of the band, they have top 2 songs to chose from.
It has been said that the 2 songs are pretty hard to perform in a sense of vocal performance.
“Eesti Laul 2021” – The Estonian national selection for Eurovision 2021 will have 2 hosts:
Grete Kuld and Tõnis Niinemetsa
“Eestil Laul 2021” will include 2 semi-finals and grand final. The semi-finals will be held on the 18th and 20th of February 2021, while the grand final will be held on the 6th of March 2021.
The act has been chosen through a complicated process. 2 jury panels were involved in the selection process. One jury panel included 100 Eurovision fans whose taste is predictable to be similar to the typical Eurovision voters. Another jury panel included former international Eurovision jury and participants.
The German broadcaster have received 300 songs for this year selection.
In the beginning, the Eurovision fans panel chose their favorites songs in a multiple rounds process. Thereafter, the international jury were involved. The list of acts (song+artists) has been narrowed from 300 to 200 to 100 to 50 to 20. The 20 final acts can include two different performers for a single song or 2 different songs that are performed by same artist/ artists.
The 20 final acts have been requested to send a video clip with the performance concept, in case they will represent Germany at Eurovision 2021.
The 2 jury panels had equal weight in the decision what will be the act for Eurovision 2021.
The Eurovision website ESC Kompakt , Germany may be represented by the singer Jendrik Sigwart
The singer has admitted he submitted a song for the national selection and he ha been writing posts on Instagram using the hashtag #ESC.
A few weeks ago, we’ve reported that Stefania has 5 potential song for Eurovision 2021.
On the last days, The Greek broadcaster had a meeting where the list of 5 songs was narrowed to only 3 songs. One of the people that was involved in the decision is the Greek composer Dimitris Papadimitriou. The 3 selected songs will be edited until the final version will be decided.
The mechanism of selecting the song for Eurovision 2021 is still unknown.
According to the Israeli journalist Eran Swisa (Israel Hayom) we are already know the list of songs that Eden Alene will perform in the national final.
At the beginning, 9 songs have been suggested to the public. In an online voting, the Israeli public had the opportunity to choose their top 2 songs. The jury panel selected a third song.
The 3 selected songs are:
“La La Love”
“Ue La La“
“Set Me Free”
The Israeli broadcaster KAN refused to confirm the news. However, the official announcement will be on Sunday the 3rd of January 2021.
The national final will be held on Monday the 25th of January 2021.
Traditionally, Italy will select their act for Eurovision via festival “Sanremo“.
Amadeus will be the main host of the shows.
However, more information about the show has been revealed in the Italian media:
The singer Elodie (who competed in the festival last year) will host alongside Amadeus in one of the nights.
The singer Achille Lauro will be a special guest (he will probably perform 5 different songs during the festival) .
Another guest will be the football player Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
The singer Gintarė Korsakaitė revealed she withdrawn from the national selection “Pabandom iš naujo 2021″.
The singer claimed she had informed LRT (The Lithuanian broadcaster) before they published the list of participants.
It is still unknown if another artist will get a chance in “Pabandom iš naujo 2021″ or the list of participants will be narrow-down to 22 competitors.
In 2021, the national selection will include only 4 shows (in contrast to last years when it included at least 6 shows): 2 heats, 1 semi-final and grand final.
- Heat 1: January 16th, 2021
- Heat 2: January 23rd, 2021
- Semi Final: January 30th, 2021
- Final: February 6th, 2021
It’s still unknown whether Vasil Garvanliev who has been selected to represent North Macedonia at Eurovision 2020, will represent the country at Eurovision 2021.
However, the singer posted on his Facebook page a snippet to a new song “SudBina” that will be released in 2021:
May it be his song for Eurovision 2021?
According to an official announcement of the Slovenian broadcaster RTV SLO, Slovenia will hold a national selection for Eurovision 2021.
The singer Ana Soklič has been internally selected to represent the country at Eurovision 2021, after she had won “EMA 2020” – the national selection for Eurovision 2020.
Eurovision 2020 was cancelled and therefore Ana hasn’t got the chance to perform her song on the Eurovision stage.
Ana should has performed the song “Voda” (Eng: Water)
About the selection process and EMA 2021
1. A record number of 191 songs have been submitted to the Slovenian broadcaster for Eurovision 2021. The list has already been reduced to a shorter one.
2. In the coming days, Ana Soklič and professional jury panel will narrow the lists of songs. They will probably choose 3 songs.
3. “EMA 2021” will be held on Saturday the 27th of February 2021. In the show, the public will choose their favorite song among 3-5 suggested songs.
4. Yugoslavia have started participating at Eurovision in 1961. Therefore, 2021 will be the 60th year of participation at Eurovision for Slovenia (as part of former Yugoslavia). The broadcaster will mark that event in the national selection itself.
There are 3 possible scenarios for “EMA 2021“:
1. Ana Soklič and professional jury panel will select 3 songs among the submitted songs. There is a possibility that thereafter 1-2 additional songs will be added to the list. Therefore, “EMA 2021” will include 3-5 songs.
2. Ana Soklič and professional jury panel will select a single song which may transform “EMA 2021” to a song presentation.
3. Ana Soklič and professional jury panel will select only 2 songs to compete in “EMA 2021“
Additional information will be given by the broadcaster in the coming days.
The Spanish broadcaster TVE has announced that its next Eurovision entry won’t be selected internally. it is still unclear how exactly this process is going to be look like but it was mentioned the the audience this time will have a “crucial role” in making the final decision.
Blas Cantó song selection gala night will take place in February or March 2021 and will most probably include Four new songs to choose from. one of them according to the rumors was co-written with the Dutch Eurovision winner Duncan Laurence.
The national selection will include several special guests. One of them is the singer Pastora Soler who represented Spain at Eurovision 2012.
The Twitter page “SRF Eurovision Song Contest” has posted a video that explains about the selection process for Eurovision 2021:
As we all know, Gjon’s Tears has been internally selected to represent Switzerland at Eurovision 2021.
What we can tell about the selection process?
1. A total amount of 13 songs were created in songs-writing camp.
2. The songs have been produced in Switzerland or out of Switzerland.
3. Gjon recorded all of the 13 songs.
4. 100 people from the Swizz public and 20 international music experts judged the songs. They don’t only gave points to the songs, but also gave remarks on what can be improved in the production.
5. Their remarks were incorporated into the production and videos of live- performances were recorded.
6. The 2 jury panel judged the songs again.
The chosen song was co-written by Gjon’s Tears himself.
Following the failure at Eurovision 2019, BBC decided to select their act for Eurovision 2021 via internal selection. It is unknown if James Newman will represent the country at Eurovision 2021 (after he had been selected to represent them at Eurovision 2020).
However, an official announcement will be published in the following days.