The 1st of September marks the beginning of Eurovision season.
Any new song that’s being released after this date could be a potential Eurovision entry.
Today we are happy to announce the opening submission window for Finland’s selection for Eurovision 2022: “UMK 2022” (or Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2022.
The national selection “UMK” has been used as the mechanism for selecting a song for Eurovision since 2012.
Since 2020, the artist and song have been selected only via the show. While in 2018 – 2019, the artist was chosen in advance by the broadcaster.
The dates and format will be decided later on by the Finnish broadcaster YLE.
The submission window is open from today (1st of September 2021) until the 6th of September 2021.
Here are the main rules for song submission:
- The song shouldn’t have been published or released before.
- A demo or any other material will be submitted via YLE‘s digital server.
- Any singer can be a performer of up to 3 submitted songs. However, any singer will perform only one song (or less) in the selection show.
- Lyricists and composers can submit as many songs as they want.
- The singer of the demo’s version must be the singer to perform the song in the selection show (if chosen).
- The expert jury (assigned by YLE) will select a reduced list of songs and artists that will participate in the televised show.
- “UMK 2022” will be held in February 2022. The winner will be determined by a combination of public voting and jury voting.
- Submitted songs must not be submitted to the selection process in other countries.
- The song duration should be less than 3 minutes.
- Any staging will include up to 6 people.
- The lyrics of the song must not be political or offensive and must not contain swear words or trademarks.
- At least one songwriter and one lead singer must have a Finnish citizenship or a permanent residence in Finland.
- There are no limitations regarding the language.
- Instructions for uploading the material can be found on the 1st of September at yle.fi/umk
Last year, Blind Channel won “UMK 2021“. They represented Finland at Eurovision 2021 with the song “The Dark Side“.
Blind Channel finished in 6th place in the grand final of Eurovision 2021, giving Finland its best achievement in years.
Currently, 26 countries are confirmed for Eurovision 2022:
Italy (Host Country)