In the last month, Greek media has created a lot of hype regarding the question: Who may represent the country at Eurovision 2022?
The broadcaster has opened a submission window for Eurovision 2022. The deadline was the 10th of October 2021. Greek Music Labels were able to submit their proposals. They should name artists with 1-3 songs.
ERT will base its decision not only on the songs, but on other parameters as well.
Once the deadline is over, it’s time to reveal the artists that applied to represent Greece at Eurovision 2022.
The information in this article is based on reports from Greek media, especially OGAE Greece and EurovisionFun.
It seems that at least 25 different artists have submitted more than 40 songs overall.
Here are the well known artists among them:
#1. Good Job Nicky
- Label: Cobalt Music
- About the Artist: Good job Nicky is the stage name of Nikolas Varthakouris. He is 25 years old and considered one of the rising stars in his country.
- What can we expect? : it seems like the singer has submitted a ballad with soundtrack elements. It was composed by the young composer Hermes Geragidis. Moreover, the team behind him includes the art director and choreographer Fokas Evangelinos.
- Label: Panik Records
- About the Artist: 27-year-old singer and songwriter grew up between Crete and New Jersey – two completely different musical worlds. It’s only fitting that her groundbreaking music combines danceable pop influences with Mediterranean traditional sounds
- What can we expect? The singer probably submitted the maximum allowed number of songs for a singer, according to ERT’s regulations this year. Evangelia submitted 3 different songs. All of them are billengal (which means they include lyrics in English and Greek). All of the songs have characteristics of modern pop and traditional Greek foundations. The songs have already been produced. Each of them already has a video clip, staging concept and clear message.
#3.Joanne (Ioanna Georgakopoulou)
- Label: MINOS EMI
- The singer won the latest edition of “The Voice of Greece“. Her coach was Eurovision 2005 winner Elena Paparizou.
19 years old Joanne conquered the audience’s heart with her voice.
The singer probably submitted 1 dance-pop song with English lyrics.
#4.Amanda Tenfjord (Amanda Georgiadis)
Amanda Georgiadis is a Greek singer who lives in Norway.
The singer submitted an emotional ballad. She didn’t write the song by herself.
The 38 year old singer submitted 3 dance pop songs.
He has shown an interest in Eurovision for years.
#6. Elias Kozas
Koza Mostra & Agathon Iakovidis represented Greece at Eurovision 2013. They performed the song “Alcohol is Free” and ended up 6th in the grand final.
This time, the singer submitted 3 different songs. All of them are written in English. The songs have a rock vibe and they are midtempo – uptempo.
2 of the songs have been written by him, while the third was written by a Swedish team.
#7. Konstantinos Christoforou
Constantinos is one of the most appreciated and experienced Greek singers.
He has already participated in the Eurovision Song Contest on 3 different occasions:
In 1996, he performed the ballad “Μόνο για μας” (Eng: Only For Us) and ended up 9th:
In 2002, he was part of the boy band ONE who ended up 6th in the grand final with the song “Gimme“:
In 2005, he represented Cyprus with the song “Ela Ela” and ended up 18th in the final:
The singer is represented by Minos EMI. This time, he submitted a dynamic pop ballad.
#8. Jimmy Sion
Jimmy Sion rose to fame in 2010, when he participated in the “Greek Idol“.
The 26 year old singer namely performs electro-pop songs in English.
For Eurovision, he submitted 2 different songs: one of them is a modern ballad, while the other is a modern upbeat electro song.
#9. Artemis Matafia
Young singer-songwriter Artemis Matafia rose to fame when she participated in “The Voice of Greece“. The singer submitted 2 different songs: one of them is a dance song, while the other is a touching and emotional ballad.
Both songs were written by Kostas Giaxoglou, Vangelis Doukoutselis and by Artemis Matafia.
#10. Konstantina Zerva (Kianna)
Konstantina Zerva is planning to release a new album in 2 months.
One of the songs to be included in the album is the song which was submitted to ERT by the singer.
The song is written in English. The genre can be defined as electo-dance with techno influences.
The 20 year old singer, supported by MINOS EMI, has decided to submit an entry as well.
It is a dynamic, modern alternative pop song with English lyrics. The song talks about women empowerment, and even the “Me Too” movement.
Despite making a great media presence, the American – Greek singer Kalomira hasn’t submitted a song. 2 days ago, we reported that the singer worked with several international musicians on 2-3 songs. We would like to remind you that the singer has represented Greece at Eurovision 2008 with the song “My Secret Combination”:
One of the surprises was seeing her accompanied by the Swedish singer-songwriter Mohombi who participated 3 times in the Swedish selection for Eurovision.
However, it seems that the singer thought she would have an easier way to claim the representation of Greece this year.
Is it possible to see her trying to represent Cyprus?
They are not the only artists who applied for ERT. However, it seems like they are the main contenders to represent Greece at Eurovision 2022.
All proposals will be judged by the full package: vocals, melody, staging idea, message, singer’s character and more.
At the moment, we can estimate that the Greek representative will be revealed around December 2021 – January 2022.