As with almost every year, Portugal will choose a song and an artist for Eurovision via the traditional music festival “Festival da Canção”.
The submission window opened on the 8th of September 2021 and will close on the 31st of October 2021.
However, we can already reveal that the Portuguese broadcaster RTP has received more than 600 songs!
This is an impressive number of submissions. An optional explanation will probably be the success of the “Festival da Canção 2021″ winners : The Black Mamba who finished 12th in the grand final of Eurovision 2021 with the song “Love Is On My Side“
About “Festival da Canção 2022”
- In “Festival da Canção 2022″, we will see 20 artists presenting their original songs and fighting for the the right to represent Portugal at Eurovision 2022.
- 20 artists will be chosen as follows: 16 composers who have received a special invitation from RTP. The other 4 will be chosen from the submission path (where we already have more than 600 songs)
- The Festival will be held in February and March 2022
- The festival will include 2 semi-final and a grand final.
- 10 artists will compete in each semi-final, 5 of them will qualify for the final.
- The results in the semi-finals and grand final will be determined by 50% public vote and 50% national jury.
Who will represent the country at Eurovision 2022?
Will we see more artists submitting a song in English following the winning of The Black Mamba?