The submission window for “EMA 2022” and “EMA FREŠ 2022” closed on the 22rd of November 2021.
As the submission window closed, Slovenian broadcaster RTV SLO reported on receiving a total of 127 songs. This number of songs were submitted to the 2 paths together: “EMA 2022” and “EMA FREŠ 2022” .
For the special edition of “EMA 2021” (where the artist was internally selected in advance: Ana Soklič, 191 songs have been submitted. Therefore, there is a decrease in the number of submissions.
The first time “EMA FREŠ” was aired was in 2020.
The Slovenian selection for Eurovision 2022 will include 2 different categories: “EMA FREŠ 2022” for newcomers and “EMA 2022” for established artists.
- Selected songs from the category of newcomers are pre-mutually competing in the online pre-competition “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- 4 artists will qualify from the newcomers competition for the general selection of “EMA 2022“.
- The national selection will include 3 shows this year: 2 pre-selections and a final selection
- Artists between the ages of 16 and 30 who have released up to 3 songs so far can apply for “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- Main performers or at least half of the main performers in the multi-performance ensembles of the submitted song must have permanent or temporary residence in Slovenia
- There are no restrictions on the nationality of backing vocalists.
- The winning song in the final selection “EMA 2022” will be selected by 5 juries and the public on the basis of voting via landlines and mobile phones.
- The expert jury will be composed of: singers, songwriters, members of Slovenian radio, members of Slovenian Television and members of OGAE Slovenia
- Performers, authors of music, lyrics, arrangements, music producers who performed in the finals of the Song
- Eurovision and / or ranked in the top ten before the start of the semi-finals,
- performers, authors of music, lyrics, arrangements, music producers, in the last 10 years
- Winners of music festivals and recipients of music awards in Slovenia and abroad
About “EMA FREŠ 2022“
- In the first round, each member of the expert commission on the basis of artistic, aesthetic and production criteria, song innovation and recording quality.
- It will end with the expert jury classifying the songs in 3 different classes.
- At the end of this round, jury experts will rank their top 24 entries. The given scores will determine the duals of “EMA FREŠ 2022” .
- 3 weeks in a row, every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, RTV SLO will publish pairs of songs that will compete in a dual. The winning song for each dual will qualify for the final.
- At the end of each week, the 4 week’s winners will face another vote: The public voters and jury will vote for their favorites. The top 3 will qualify for the final of “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- Out of the remaining 15 songs that didn’t qualify directly, the public will pick their top 5.
- Therefore, 14 (5 wildcards and 9 week’s winners) songs will participate in the semi- finals of the new corner category – “EMA FREŠ 2022“.
- “EMA FREŠ 2022” will include 2 semi- finals. On each one of them, 7 newcomers will compete for 2 spots in “EMA FREŠ 2022 grand final.
- The results of “EMA FREŠ 2022” semi-finals will be dedcided by 50% public vote and 50% jury vote.
- These 4 winners of “EMA FREŠ 2022” semi-finals, will join the grand final of “EMA 2022“
First Rounds of “EMA FREŠ 2022”:
Advanced Rounds of “EMA FREŠ 2022”:
About “EMA 2022”
- A total of 20 songs will compete in “EMA 2022“. 4 of them are “EMA FREŠ 2022” qualifiers.
- This year, “EMA 2022” will include a semi-final as well.
- 16 established artists will compete on 6 spots in the final. The top 3 ranked by the jury panel and the top 3 ranked by the public votes will qualify for the final.
- In the grand final, 10 artists (6 established and 4 newcomers) will compete on the right to represent Slovenia.
- Each of the 5 jury members will grant 1-8, 10, 12 points to their top 10 favorite songs. Therefore, the jury panel will grant 290 points (5 sets of 1-8, 10, 12 points) in total.
- Public results will be converted into a system of 290 points in total: The top 10 songs will recieve: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 50 and 60 points respectively.
- The winner of “EMA 2022” will be the one with the highest combined score.
In Eurovision 2021, Ana Soklič reprsented Slovenia with the song “Amen“.
She finished in 13th place in first semi-final, and didn’t qualify for the final:
Who will represent Slovenia at Eurovision 2022?
Will we see returning artists in the national selection?
Will an artist of “EMA FREŠ 2022” win the whole selection and fly to Italy?