On the 1st of August 2023, we have reported that the BBC and TaP Music collaboration for Eurovision came to an end after 2 years.
Kalpna Patel-Knight, head of BBC entertainment, gave an interview where she revealed more details about the BBC‘s plans for Eurovision 2024:
However, the BBC recognises the importance of selecting an artist who has the ability to perform live in giant arenas. Thus, the BBC will possibly consult with industry specialists to select the Eurovision 2024 act.
Yesterday, the BBC Radio 2 DJ and Eurovision commentator gave an interview to Attitude magazine, where he revealed more details about UK’s participation at Eurovision 2024:
- The BBC has already started discussions regarding the internal selection for Eurovision 2024.
- According to him, the established state of the UK in the music industry is the main challenge for Eurovision. The expectations from the UK are naturally high.
- However, the UK can’t send its top pop stars (like Adele) to the contest.
- Tiny countries like Israel (the example is from the original quote) can “simply” send their top singers.
- He feels like sending nostalgic singers (like the UK has done in 2012-2013) won’t work well, as the contest has a more modern character.
- The best option would be to send someone new with a passion for Eurovision.
The UK has internally selected the act for Eurovision since 2020.
Between the years 2016 and 2019, the country held a national selection for Eurovision.
Does it mean that the BBC will step towards a non-established artist for Eurovision 2024?
Mae Muller represented the UK at Eurovision 2023. She ended in the 25th place with a total of 24 points, performing “I Wrote a Song“:
So far, the following countries have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024: Sweden, Norway, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Israel, Moldova, Estonia, Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Serbia, Switzerland, the UK, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Ukraine, Portugal, San Marino, Belgium, Albania, and Latvia.
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö,Sweden.
The semi-finals will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024