Finnish broadcaster YLE opened the submission window for the national selection “UMK 2024“.
This year as well the submission window is quite short.
The submission window lasted for 4 days only, between 21st and 24th of August 2023.
A total of 419 entries were submitted this year!
Now we have more details:
- “UMK 2024″ will be held on Saturday, the 10th of February 2024.
- This time, YLE booked a giant arena: Nokia Arena in Tampere.
- Tickets will be available on Thursday:
- Around 15K lucky people will be able to watch it live from the arena.
- The producers stated that the level of the songs will be historically high.
- Käärijä will be a special guest!
- 7 entries will compete in the year’s national selection.
- The 7 artists will be revealed on January 10th, 2024.
- The songs will be revealed on a daily basis (besides weekends) between the 11th of January and the 19th of January 2024.
The chairman of the jury is Tapio Hakanen, and this is how he describes this year’s starting field:
“Among the participants are an artist’s first nineties dance song, a power song from a singer with a great voice, perhaps the finest song of an indie favorite’s career, a surprising duo consisting of two famous artists whose song has a catchy chorus, an explosive rock – anthem of a band with an international career, a really intense song from one of the most popular artists right now and a nice club banger from a well-known comeback artist. We will certainly experience a high-energy UMK competition, which is also in a large arena!”
Käärijä represented Finland at Eurovision 2023 with the song “Cha Cha Cha“.
He ended up 2nd with a total of 526 points.
However, he managed to win the public vote with a total of 376 points.
Who would you like to see representing Finland at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official