On the 7th of August 2023, Portuguese broadcaster RTP opened the submission window for the annual music festival: “Festival da Canção 2024“.
Now it has been revealed that 809 songs were submitted through the free path.
Only 6 of them will be chosen to be performed in the festival.
It is worth mentioning that the majority of the selected songs will be chosen among list of composers who have received a special invitation from RTP.
“Festival da Canção 2024”
- This will be the 58th edition of the traditional Portuguese festival.
- The festival will be held in February-March 2024.
- The festival will feature 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- 20 artists will be shortlisted to compete in the festival. The list of artists/writers will be composed from 2 different categoires:
- Invited Composers/Writers – RTP will directly invite 14 established composers/writers to submit songs for the festival. Some of them will perform the songs, while other will choose another artist to perform them.
- Free Path – This submission window is open for any eligible Portuguese artist. 6 of them will be shortlisted to compete in the festival.
- 10 artists will compete in each semi-final, 6 of them will qualify from each semi-final to the final.
- The semi-finals results will be determined in 2 rounds:
- First round – a 50% national jury and a 50% public vote. The 5 songs with highest combined ranking will advance for the final.
- Second round – will be determined solely by the public vote. 1 additional song will get a ticket for the final.
Mimicat represented Portugal at Eurovision 2023 with the song “Ai Coração“.
She ended up in the 23rd place, with a total of 59 points.
Who would you like to see representing Portugal at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-finals will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11th of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official