As we have reported on the 22nd of July 2021, Spain will hold a national selection for Eurovision 2022.
The festival will be held in Benidorm City and will be used as a mechanism to select an artist and singer for Eurovision 2022.
The songs in the line-up will be chosen by a group of an expert jury.
The festival will include 3 live shows: 2 semi-finals and a grand final.
- “Benidorm Song Festival” will be held in February 2022.
- In each semi-final, 6 artists will compete on 3 spots in the final.
- The grand final will feature 6 artists.
- Established artists will get a special invitation to participate in the festival.
- At least 2 of the submissions will be selected among the unestablished artists.
- The results will be determined by 50% public vote and 50% jury voting.
- The public vote which will be split by 50% expert fans panel and 50% televoting
- The jury vote will be composed by 60% national jury and 40% intenational jury.
- In case of any tie, the artist with higher amount of points from the public, will get the advantage.
- The submission window opened on the 29th of September 2021, and will close on the 29th of October 2021 at 23:59.
- All applicants must be born before January 1, 2006.
- The duration of the song presented will be a minimum of 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and a maximum of 3 exact minutes
- The songs mustn’t be published before the contest.
- Applicants can be solo singers or groups, but no more than 6 people can be included in the group.
- Solo artists must be of Spanish nationality or be residents of Spain.
- In a case of group, at least 50% of the members should be of Spanish nationality or be residents of Spain.
- Each singer or group will be able to perform only one song among all submissions.
- Singers / groups must commit they won’t participate or submit a song to any other national selection.
- Language: each song can be written in any of Spain‘s official languages (Spanish, Catalan, Galician, Basque, Valencian, Occitan). However, there is a permission to include up to 35% of the lyrics in any other language (such as English).
- Composers and writers can only submit one song as an exclusive writer/composer or 2 as co-writers.
- RTVE reserves the right to withdraw, cancel, postpone and / or change the contest and any of its requirements or phases for technical, operational, commercial, or audience reasons, modifying the present basis as necessary.
The 12 selected artists will be revealed in December 2021.
About the festival of Benidorm
The festival of Benidorm was established back in 1959, following the steps of The Italian music festival “Festival Di Sanremo“. The idea to revive the festival was born in order to give a new spirit to a well-known brand. . It took place annually until 2006, (except for the years 1979 1984, 1986, 1992).
Some big names in pain have participated in the festival over the years:
- Karina (Maribel Llaudes) participated in the festival in the 1960’s, and represented Spain at Eurovision 1971
- Julio Iglesias (won the festival in 1968, represented Spain at Eurovision 1970),
- Coral Segovia (won the festival in 2005 and participated in the Spanish national selection in the past),
- Barei (participated in the festival in 2001, and represented Spain at Eurovision 2016)
What will be Spain’s fate at Eurovision 2022?
Who will carry the Spanish flag in Italy?
Can we expect any return artists?
Will Spain finally get out of the bottom of the score table?