Book your calendars! On Tuesday, the 25th of January 2022, the semi-finals allocation draw will be held in Turin.
The venue to host the ceremony hasn’t been revealed. However, the event is certainly held in Turin.
Usually, the semi-finals allocation draw hosts are the hosts of the following Eurovision Song Contest. Nevertheless, according to RAI‘s statement, the hosts will be chosen only after the “Festival Di Sanremo” will end.
The ceremony has symbolic meaning as well, it will indicates the kickoff of Turin as the next host-city. The ceremony will follow the tradition that has started in 2007 – Each new host city (this time Turin) will add a unique ley or symnob to the set of keys.
Semi-Final Allocation Draw – How will it work?
This year, 41 countries will take part in the contest.
- 36 of them will have to pass through the obstacle of the semi-finals.
- 18 countries will take part in each one of the semi-finals, while 10 only will qualify.
- The 36 countries will be assigned into 6 pots, based on their voting relations and patterns (which are sometimes geographic relations).
- This will reduce the bloc voting (that was very common in 2004 – 2007 for example).
- Each pot will consist of 6 countries. 3 of them will be allocated into semi-final 1, while 3 others will be allocated into semi-final 2.
- In addition, each country will be allocated into the first half of the second half of the corresponding semi-final.
- The big 5 countries will be allocated into semi-finals where they will vote and broadcast the show. Those countries ar: Italy, France, Germany, Spai,n and the United Kingdom.
What examples of pots can we excpect?
Baed on the recent years voting patterns, we can assume that:
- Nordic – Scandinavian countries alongside top voting countries: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, Australia, Estonia (?).
- Former Soviet counties: Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia.
- Moldova – Romania
- Greece – Cyprus
- Lithuania – Latvia – Ireland
- Balkan and Ex-Yoguslavia countries: Albania, Serbia, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro
Are you excited about the semi-finals allocation draw?