Finnish broadcaster YLE revealed that Samu Haber will host the national selection for Eurovision 2023 – “UMK 2023“
Samu Haber is a 46 year-old Finnish singer-songwriter.
He was the lead singer of the pop rock band Sunrise Avenue that has been active from 2002 to 2022.
Over the years, the band has released 8 studio albums.
In recent years, Samu has decided to focus on a solo career, and he is mainly singing in the Finnish language
His father is from a German descent.
In 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2020, Haber was one of the coaches in “The Voice of Germany“
You can listen to one of his latest releases:
Samu commented, following YLE’s choice of him as a host:
I’m working for UMK and I’m part of the machinery that serves the artists. They’re very nervous, so a big part of the job is getting everything we can out of the performers together with the directors, lighting techs, costumers, and other staff.
This UMK gig is the cherry on top of an unbelievably good year, which has included the Sunrise Avenue farewell tour, my new album in Finnish, and the sold-out tour that followed it.
UMK has grown into a great music show, from which it is truly possible to make a big push forward in your career. Even abroad. There will definitely be great performances, just like in previous years, and I’ll get to perform a bit myself and enjoy the stage with a great team
Samu also confirmed that he will be performing as an interval act during the show.
In 2016 and 2019, he attended Eurovision as a viewer.
While in 2022, he mentored Cyan Kicks during their participation in “UMK 2022″
Samu also identifies himself as a Eurovision fan and said:
There can never be too many carnivals in the world, which is why I have always enjoyed Eurovision and the national finals. Finland has entered some really wonderful songs into Eurovision and there’s a genuine dedication to putting on the best possible show. Especially over the past few years, UMK has grown into something that’s truly spectacular. There’s a sense of pride and real showmanship. We’re so over the Eurovision traumas of the past.
“UMK 2023” – Known Details
- “UMK 2023″ will be held at Logomo, Turku, on 25th February 2023.
- 7 artists will compete in “UMK 2023“.
- The list of artists will be published on the 11t of January 2023.
- The song will be released, once per day, starting on the 12th of January 2023.
- The results will be determined by a combination of public voting and an international jury.
- Hints on the seven finalists are:
- Dance song by an unbelievably strong new singer
- Sex-oozing song by a well-known artist
- Heartbreaking ballad by one of Finland’s biggest export hopefuls
- Strong rap banger
- Well-known and up-and-coming bands
- Katri Norrlin will be the music reporter
The Rasmus represented Finland at Eurovision 2022 with the song ”Jezebel”.
They came 21st in the grand final with 38 points.
What do you think about the chosen host?
What kind of songs would you like to get in “UMK 2023″?
Will it be the lucky year for Finland?