In June 2023, Austria confirmed its intention to participate at Eurovision 2024, with internal selection as the mechanism to select an artist and a song.
Austrian broadcaster ORF will get the help of special talent scouts in order to detect potential talented artists who might be representing the country at Eurovision 2024.
This year, Peter Schreiber joined the scout. He was one of the Austrian jury members at Eurovision 2023.
Peter is also the owner of the YouTube channel AustroZone and he works for the w24 TV station.
He joined to the long-years Eurovision scout Eberhard Forcher, who has took active part in the Austrian selection for Eurovision since 2017.
In addition, Austrian producer and songwriter Lukas Hillebrand will be part of the selection process for the 2nd year in a row.
Interested artists (according to ESC Kompakt) are: Slomo, Dominik Gassner, and Thomas Glan.
Additional details will probably be revealed later on.
However, the details behind the Austrian selection are usually kept as a secret.
Eberhard Forcher has revealed more details regarding the selection process for Eurovision 2024:
- So far, several artists have been approached by Eberhard Forcher and Peter Schreiber
- In contrast to recent years, there’s an open path for artists (who haven’t been approached by ORF) to submit a song.
- Submissions will be made online via email: email@example.com
- The submission window will close on the 30th of September 2023
- A professional committee, assigned by ORF, will listen to the submitted songs will narrow down the list of potential acts.
- The emphasis this year will be on exciting narrative or a message, and music authority. Songs with the most unique attributes will be prioritized.
- The shortlisted artists will be requested to perform live in front of the professional committee, as in last year.
Teya and Salena represented Austria at Eurovision 2023 with “Who The Hell is Edgar?“.
They ended in 15th place in the final, with a total of 120 points:
Who would you like to see representing Austria at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the following countries have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024: Sweden, Norway, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Israel, Moldova, Estonia, Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Serbia, Switzerland, the UK, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Ukraine, Portugal, San Marino, Belgium, and Albania.