As of the beginning of July 2023, we have reported that Luxembourg will select an artist and a song via a national selection.
At the end of July 2023 , the first auditions took place. Around 100 singers performed in front of a jury panel.
These singers don’t yet have an original song to submit. However, they might be with songwriters at a later due.
Based on an official release by RTL Luxembourg, we learned:
- The candidates had to perform in front of a jury panel: The person in charge of RTL.lu Sandra Bintz, RTL cultural leader Jenny Fischbach, ESC coordinator Eric Lehmann, audio expert Jules Serrig, the head of radio Dave Gloesener and the radio animator Samuel Steen.
- The best singers will later compete with those candidates who are already more established in the music industry and have their own songs in their repertoire
- The candidates sang acapella, and therefore preferred slower songs.
- Among the languages artists performed in, we were able to find: English, French, German, Luxembourgish, Portuguese and even Serbian.
- The youngest of the artists in the auditions was 16 years old Melina Frisch. She was accompanied by Christiane Hoffmann (who played the piano for Luxembourg at Eurovision 1991).
- The oldest of the auditioned artists was 63 year old Pierre Urbing.
Eric Lehmann, one of the jury members, commented:
I would say that 50 percent of the candidates who presented themselves sing well. We have also made some suggestions for improvement. And I think that people will still be coached until January, when the virus decision will take place and I think that we will keep a good 40 to 50 people back
Grand Duchy of Luxembourg’s national preselection
- The televised national selection will be held on Saturday, the 27th of January 2024.
- The national selection will involve the public.
- Applications should be made via the Eurovision Luxembourg website
- There are 3 categories where applications can be sent:
- Category 1 – Singers with songs to submit
- Category 2 – Singers without a song to submit
- Category 3 – Songwriters looking to collaborate with local singers.
- Applicants might even submit their candidacy even in more than 1 category
- Performers must be at least 16 years old on the day of the national final.
- Applicants must also hold Luxembourgish nationality or have lived in the country for 3 consecutive years or have a proven connection to the local culture.
- There are no restrictions regarding the language of the songs.
- Performers can submit no more than 3 songs (whoever the songwriters are).
- The deadline for Category 2 was Sunday, 16th of July, or the 1st of October 2023 for the rest of the categories.
- The professional committee will listen to the submitted songs and select some of them to participate in the televised show.
Luxembourg returns to the contest after a long break of 31 years.
The last time the country competed was in 1993.
Despite being one of the smallest countries, the country has already won 5 times in the contest: 1961, 1965, 1972, 1973, 1983.
Who would you like to see representing Luxembourg at Eurovision 2024?
Will the country succeed at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-finals will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the following countries have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024: Sweden, Norway, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Israel, Moldova, Estonia, Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Serbia, Switzerland, the UK, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Ukraine, Portugal, San Marino, Belgium, and Albania.