As revealed earlier, the Netherlands received more than 600 songs for Eurovision 2024.
Based on the nu.nl magazine, the established singer Anouk was one of the artists who showed an interest.
Anouk is a well-known Dutch singer-songwriter, who represented the country at Eurovision 2013 with the emotional ballad “Birds“.
Back then, she ended in 9th place in the final, after 8 years the country didn’t qualify for the final.
In April 2022, she released her 14th album, “Trails of Fails“, and you can read Doron’s review for the album here.
However, it seems like the talented Dutch singer won’t be able to represent the country.
Currently, Anouk is working on the final preparations for her upcoming new album “Deena and Jim“, which will be released on November 3rd, 2023:
According to the rules of the Dutch selection, the songs mustn’t be released before the reveal of the chosen song in March 2024.
The singer had a former obligation to release the album in November 2023.
She couldn’t postpone her album release by 4 months, without knowing whether she would represent the country on not
The singer commented:
“I proposed it to the selection committee. I think this record is so crazy and so great. I didn’t plan on ever doing the Eurovision Song Contest again, but with this music I wanted to.
They have received a lot of entries this year and of course I cannot follow up. I understand that. The decision will not be made until sometime in December.
I couldn’t arrive at my record company and say at the last minute: sorry, it won’t be until March. So unfortunately it didn’t happen, but it would have been a nice moment”
The Netherlands at Eurovision 2024
- According to the Dutch broadcaster’s official statement , Avrotros received more than 600 songs for Eurovision 2024 internal selection. This is a record number of submissions compared to previous years in the same selection format.
- The songs are of diverse genres: pop, dance, rock, hip-hop, soul, opera, R&B and reggae, and more.
- Among the artists who have submitted their candidacy, we are able to find young artists, alongside well-known artists.
- The majority of the submitted songs are written in English, however around 100 of them feature different languages: Dutch, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish and Turkish.
- The professional committee is likely to get a final decision regarding the chosen songs around the mid of December 2023.
Among the artists who expressed their interest in submitting an entry, we can mention:
- Numidia – a Dutch-Moroccan singer who submitted a mid-tempo song that showcases her multi-cultural influences. Her song was co-written by Douwe Bob
- Douwe Bob – submitted 2 songs, one of them as a performer. He represented the country at Eurovision 2016 with “Slow Down.”
- Tim Douwsma
- Joost Klein
- The Jordan
- The band Voz
- Louisa Janssen
- Kris Kross Amsterdam
- Leonie Meijer
Mia Nicolai and Dion Cooper represented The Netherlands at Eurovision 2023.
They performed the song “Burning Daylight“.
Unfortunately, they failed to qualify for the grand final:
Who would you like to see representing The Netherlands at Eurovision 2024?
Will the country qualify for the final after 1 year on non-qualifying.
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official