On the 30th of January 2023, Greek broadcaster ERT has stated that Victor Vernikos is the country’s representative for Eurovision 2023.
The 16 year-old singer-songwriter was chosen among 106 songs submitted to ERT.
Victor Vernikos will perform his self-panned song “What They Say“.
His song is an emotional ballad.
The singer-songwriter also has Danish roots.
According to the Greek Eurovision website EurovisionFun, we learned that the song might be released on Monday, the 6th of March 2023.
The song will be released alongside a video-clip
Konstantinos Rigos will be the director of live performance in Liverpool.
He has already functionated as Greece’s art director for Eurovision 2011-2012 entries.
Greece’s Internal Selection for Eurovision 2023
In the first phase, a professional committee listened to the songs and shortlisted 7 of them:
- Victor Vernicos – What They Say
- Antonia Kaouri & Maria Maragkou – Shout Out!
- Melissa Mantzoukis – Liar
- Leon of Athens – Somewhere to Go
- Konstantina Iosifidou – We are Young
- Klavdia – Holy Water
- Monika – I’m Proud
A total of 70 people from the public were chosen, with the following composition:
- 25 people from the age of 18-25 years old
- 20 people from the age of 26-35 years old
- 15 people from the age of 36-45 years old
- 10 people from the age of 46+ years old
They functioned as an additional jury panel.
The Greek entry for Eurovision 2023 was chosen by a combination of 50.6% for the dermoscopic jury and 49.4% for the professional jury (composed of 7 members).
Greece will compete in the first half of semi-final 2 at Eurovision 2023.
Don’t forget to visit our full guide to Eurovision 2023: Our Eurovision 2023 homepage