In June 2023, Austria confirmed its intention to participate at Eurovision 2024, with internal selection as the mechanism to select an artist and a song.
Austrian broadcaster ORF will get the help of special talent scouts to detect potential talented artists who might be representing the country at Eurovision 2024.
The submission window closed on the 30th of September 2023.
We have to recall: Austrian selection process works a bit differently, compared to other countries. First of all, artists are being approached by ORF, and then they get the opportunity to submit entries.
New Details and Known Details
Eberhard Forcher has revealed more details regarding the selection process for Eurovision 2024:
- Around 60 songs have been submitted to ORF in recent weeks, per request.
- A professional committee, assigned by ORF will listen to the submitted songs and will narrow down the list of around 15 potential acts.
- The emphasis this year will be on exciting narratives, a message, and music authority. Songs with the most unique attributes will be prioritized.
- The shortlisted artists will be asked to perform live in front of the professional committee, as they did last year.
- Videos of the live performance will be shown to additional jury members, who will receive the decision no later than the end of December 2023.
- The idea of the planned public vote cannot be implemented for legal reasons.
About the Selection Committee
This year, Peter Schreiber joined the scouts. He was one of the Austrian jury members at Eurovision 2023.
Peter is also the owner of the YouTube channel AustroZone and he works for the w24 TV station.
He joined to the long-years Eurovision scout Eberhard Forcher, who has took active part in the Austrian selection for Eurovision since 2017.
In addition, Austrian producer and songwriter Lukas Hillebrand will be part of the selection process for the 2nd year in a row.
Interested artists (according to ESC Kompakt) are: Slomo, Dominik Gassner, and Thomas Glan.
Additional details will probably be revealed later on.
However, the details behind the Austrian selection are usually kept as a secret.
Teya and Salena represented Austria at Eurovision 2023 with “Who The Hell is Edgar?“.
They ended in 15th place in the final, with a total of 120 points:
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official