Malta will select an artist and a song for Eurovision 2024 via “MESC 2024″ (The Malta Eurovision Song Contest)
A few hours ago, Maltese broadcaster PBS released the official rules and regulations for the national selection.
Here are the main details:
- The submission window will open on Monday, the 28th of August and will close on 20th of September 2023.
- All artists must be of Maltese nationality or have dual citizenship, one of which is Maltese. In the case of a group comprising two or more artists, the lead artist must be of Maltese Nationality or hold dual citizenship, one of which is Maltese.
- Lyricists and composers may hold any nationality.
- The previous year’s representatives aren’t eligible to compete.
- Performers must be at least 16 years old
- Maximal song duration is 3 minutes.
- The selection will include several phases:
- Selection phases
- PBS will assign an expert jury that will listen to the submitted songs anonymously.
- Each artist might submit several songs, but with be eligible to compete with one of them only.
- The artists who will be shortlisted to the semi-finals will be drawn to several batches.
- The semi-finals will last for several unknown (number of shows it to be determined).
- The semi-finals qualifiers will be announced after the last semi-final show. A total of 12 artists will qualify for the final.
- The results of the semi-finals and the final will be determined by a combination of jury vote and public vote.
- During the semi-finals, the performances will be aired live.
- The semi-finals qualifiers will get a budget of $5,000 for an official video clip.
- Before the final, each of the 12 qualifiers will have a hour to record 3 sessions of live on tape performances of their songs.
- In the final, the artists won’t perform live, but will use the line on tape versions, as well as broadcasting of the video clips.
- Final sound mixing will be operated by PBS to ensure uniform levels and quality of sound.
- At the end of the show, 5 awards will be gives:
- Top 3 Places
- Best Newcomer
- Best Video Clip
The Busker won “MESC 2023″ and therefore were set to represent Malta at Eurovision 2023.
They performed “Dance (Our Own Party)”.
However, they failed to qualify for the final, earning only 3 points.
So far, the list of countries that confirmed participation at Eurovision 2024 includes: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Israel, Moldova, Estonia, Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Serbia, Switzerland, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Ukraine, Portugal, San Marino, and Belgium.
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-finals will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024