On the 22nd of August 2023, Maltese broadcaster PBS revealed the regulations for the Eurovision 2024 national selection: “MESC 2024″.
It has been revealed that 36 songs made it to the semi-finals:
- Ryan Hili – Karma
- Michela Galea – Let’s Talk About Love
- Sarah Bonnici – Loop
- J.anvil – Man
- Denise Mercieca – Mara
- Martina Cutajar – Miles Away
- Kurt Calleja – Misunderstood
- Maria Christina – Moving On
- Stefan Galea – Numb
- Franklin Calleja – Puppet
- Erba’ – Sirena
- Jessica Micallef – Tagħna Tnejn
- Haley Azzopardi – Tell Me That It’s Over
- Eliana Gomez Blanco – There’s Only Flowers
- Greta Tude – Topic (Bla Bla)
- Miriana Conte – Venom
- Desirei Grech – Watch Me
- Gail Attard – Wild Card
- Kyle George – Arrows
- Matt Blxck – Banana
- Dan – Baraxx
- Christian Arding – Bellus
- Miguel Bonello – Better Off Alone
- Dominic Cini – Bewsa
- Thea Aquilina – Bloodstream
- Karin Duff – Breaking Bad
- Lisa Gauci – Breathe
- Oxygyn – Cloudmaker
- Mark Anthony Bartolo – Condition Or Friction
- Sopranique – Empire
- Marie Claire – Fading
- Moira Stafrace – Feather Flight
- Lyndsay Pace – Fireproof
- Cosette Baldacchino – Free Fall
- Nathan – Ghost
- Mark Portelli – Just Be
“MESC 2024” – Maltese Selection For Eurovision 2024
The country announced a national selection with the following details:
- The selection will include several phases:
- Selection phases – done
- 4 Semi-finals
- The artists who will be shortlisted for the semi-finals will be drawn to several batches.
- The semi-finals will start on Friday, the 27th of October 2023 and will end on 17th of November 2023.
- The semi-finals qualifiers will be announced on the the 24th of November 2023. A total of 12 artists will qualify for the final.
- The results of the semi-finals and the final will be determined by a combination of jury vote and public vote.
- During the semi-finals, the performances will be aired live.
- The semi-finals qualifiers will get a budget of $5,000 for an official video clip.
- Before the final, each of the 12 qualifiers will have a hour to record 3 sessions of live on tape performances of their songs.
- In the final, the artists won’t perform live, but will use the line on tape versions, as well as broadcasting of the video clips.
- Final sound mixing will be operated by PBS to ensure uniform levels and quality of sound.
- At the end of the show, 5 awards will be given:
- Top 3 Places
- Best Newcomer
- Best Video Clip
Among the names, we can find several known participants from previous years:
1. Moira Stafrace is one of the veterans of the Maltese selection. In 1992, she ended as the runner up of the selection. In 1994, she was one half of the duo who represented Malta at Eurovision 1994:
3.Greta Tude participated in “MESC 2023” and was eliminated in the semi-final
4. Eliana Gomez Blanco represented the country at JESC and was a finalist in “MESC 2023”
5. Ryan Hili participated in “MESC 2023” and ended as the runner-up:
6. Marie Claire participated in “MESC 2023”
7. Matt Blxck participated in “MESC 2023” and ended in the 3rd place in the final:
8. Franklin Calleja participated in “MESC 2015”
9. J.anvil is one of the veterans in the Maltese selection. He participated in the national selection in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, and 2011
10. Denise Mercieca participated in “MESC 2022″ where she reached the final
11. Mark Anthony Bartolo, Stefan, Dan and others also participated in “MESC 2023”
The Busker won “MESC 2023″ and therefore were set to represent Malta at Eurovision 2023.
They performed “Dance (Our Own Party)”.
However, they failed to qualify for the final, earning only 3 points.
Who would you like to see representing Malta at Eurovision 2024?
Eurovision 2024 will be held in Malmö, Sweden.
The semi-final will be held on the 7th and 9th of May 2024, and the grand final will be held on the 11h of May 2024
So far, the list of countries that have confirmed participation in Eurovision 2024:
- The Netherlands
- The UK
- San Marino
- North Macedonia – not official